Windows defector.

G

Greentea

Hello all. After several migration attempts, and after the 'Win 7' experience, I'm ready to go full-time Linux. The only real obstacle is finding alternates to all those proprietary MS apps that you're used to and depend on. I've dabbled in Ubuntu a few times but I'm not so keen on the Ubuntu Unity desktop. So many great distros to choose from - Bodhi and Mint/Cinnamon are my hot favorites. Looking forward to life in Linux. Peace.

Welcome, I did the same 2 and half years ago, same way, first Ubuntu then Mint/Cinnamon. Now Linux 100% of time.

I've used Linux before years ago, but since I changed to a laptop in '08 I was unable to use Linux as my keyboard was not being recognized. So I was stuck being held hostage with Vista. Now I use Mint (and I started with Ubuntu and Unity. Ubuntu is a fine distro w/o Unity and straight Gnome or anything other than Unity.) 17 and a Cinnamon desktop and its here to stay. If I didn't have to sync an iPod I would totally away from Windows all together, so I just use XP in a Virtual Machine to sync it with iTunes.

Jim: Heh, I gave up on a previous Linux conversion attempt because I couldn't get the Wifi in my laptop to work with any distro I tried.

Greentea: I'm in your shoes, except that I never really used Windows-exclusive programs. For the past, oh, seven or eight years, I've been using the same programs on XP...
GOM Player
Irfanview
OpenOffice
Firefox
GIMP
7Zip
...all of which have Linux versions. Er, well, maybe GOM doesn't, but I'm no longer as satisfied with it as I was when it first came out, and I'm not super-attached to it anyway, so whatever most people use on Linux to play videos and music'll probably be fine for me.

Search for "linux windows program replacements" and you'll find comprehensive lists.

I've used Linux before years ago, but since I changed to a laptop in '08 I was unable to use Linux as my keyboard was not being recognized. So I was stuck being held hostage with Vista. Now I use Mint (and I started with Ubuntu and Unity. Ubuntu is a fine distro w/o Unity and straight Gnome or anything other than Unity.) 17 and a Cinnamon desktop and its here to stay. If I didn't have to sync an iPod I would totally away from Windows all together, so I just use XP in a Virtual Machine to sync it with iTunes.
Love your avatar, mate! good choice

I'm not super-attached to it anyway, so whatever most people use on Linux to play videos and music'll probably be fine for me.

I LOVE VLC media player and I'd recommend it if you're making the switch (although its available on Windows as well).

I think it was the first open source software I ever used back when I couldn't get certain videos or codecs to play on Win media player or Quicktime player.

I've never hit an issue or codec error with VLC if the file was playable and it seems a lot faster than any other media players I've used. It not bogged with with a "media center" that tries to organize all your music for you and other superfluous crap, just play my @!@#* video!

Hello all. After several migration attempts, and after the 'Win 7' experience, I'm ready to go full-time Linux. The only real obstacle is finding alternates to all those proprietary MS apps that you're used to and depend on. I've dabbled in Ubuntu a few times but I'm not so keen on the Ubuntu Unity desktop. So many great distros to choose from - Bodhi and Mint/Cinnamon are my hot favorites. Looking forward to life in Linux. Peace.
I can relate! The wife went from win xp to win 7. She just loaded it onto a new 3tb drive that I got for her 2 weeks ago. she has only gone to"TRUSTED" sites, and her virus software has picked up on 4 infected temp internet files already. I only use xp to play scrabble and boggle against her on our local net. I use Quicken 2004 and the basic stamp compiler software on an old win98 machine. For EVERYTHING else I use Linux, in one flavour or another, Just could not see giving Microsoft any more of my hard-earned cash. besides, I'm having too much fun with Linux to ever go back to Windows.

Windows 7? Not for me. But what made me switch entirely to Linux on my HP laptop was Windows 8. Yuck! What a mess of an OS. Never though M$ would release such an awful system.

Members online