Windows 7

Sangeas

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!, I have an Asus laptop which is still running Windows 7, I was wondering what version of Linux I would have to get so I can use this computer for home usage, and also a bit of advice on how to setup the PC once I install Linux as my main OS.

welcome to the forums, what's the full model number [off the plate on the back] has it been modified?
W7 machines varied in their spec.

G'day Sangeas, Welcome to Linux.org

Read your threads title....thought I had inadvertently logged into the wrong forum !

good to see you here.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

I also have an Asus laptop...64bit 4GB of RAM that came with windwoes 7 back in 2012...it now has Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 running on it...has also had Linux Lite as well.

You'll find Linux will run so much better and faster than windwoes ever did.
m0114.gif

@Sangeas
as you haven't as yet come back with the exact model number, I will make some general comments on Acer W7 laptops
It could be one of about 4 different models, each model will have about 8-10 different variants,
It should have either a singe core or twin core 64 bit processor,
the amount of ram installed as new can be as low as 500kb up to 4 gb
It should be USB bootable [unless its a very early one]

If it has less than 2gb of ram you will do best by getting some second-hand ram and upgrading to at least 2gb preferably 4 gb
with a 64 bit processor and 4 gb ram you can run any distribution of Linux you fancy, If you only have 2gb then you will need a medium or lightweight distribution, popular distributions for 4gb of ram would be, Mint-cinamon, Ubuntu, Pop [I do not recomend for beginners as it can be a pain to try and install] MX21, for lighter builds you have Debian with driver pack Linux Lite, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint LMDE, Experian among the choices, there are a limited number of distributions that will run on 1gb or less of ram such as Antix, Bodhi , Puppy.
There are around 500 different distributions so you should find the one you like the best and runs well on your kit with a bit of time.

@darry1966 Hi mate,
there are lots of options, I was just trying to keep it minimal and basic till we know exactly which machine/spec we are dealing with

Hello @Sangeas,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums, enjoy!
There are several Distros that may work but as @Brickwizard said we need a little more info on the machine to give you good advise.

Staff online