Windows 7 based on Linux platform?

L

LJ - Linus

Hello, I have seen many distros of linuxOS, I would like to know is it possible to have windows 7 based on linux? I meant I want to have linux, which would look like windows 7 and act like windows 7 but the security would based on linux. I am talking about 1:1 windows 7 on linux, but run windows apps. Why do I need that? I know windows pretty well and it is good OS for me, but it is not stable and not secure, For now I can not find anything like that. Also it would be great if I could make the same functions that I can do on windows 7 or near close to that. In few past days I've tried Linux Mint Cinamone (the latest version), Ubuntu, Fedora...The thing that is annoying to me is that I can't even rename my flash drive as I used to on windows 7, it is not important, I know, but this is just example of lack of functions and ease of use...

I meant I want to have linux, which would look like windows 7 and act like windows 7 but the security would based on linux
"Zorin Is a Linux OS That Looks and Behaves Like Windows 7" You might need to pay for the Premium version rather than using the Free version but (a) it isn't very expensive and (b) you have had to pay for Microsoft Windows anyway...

An alternative is to stick with Windows 7 and virtualise Linux. Then, only go online with Linux. More secure.

I can't even rename my flash drive as I used to on windows 7
"Renaming USB Drive Labels in Linux"

Generally, Windows is Windows and Linux is Linux.

No offense, but it sounds like you just haven't spent enough time with linux. Try a distro that is built for users who are new to linux. Zorrin, in my opinion, does not deserve to be called a linux distribution. For the most Windows like experience, KDE is what you are looking for. Any distro with KDE.

quite good to get the knowledge about he OS similar to the Win 7 as i was also looking for the same and now through this discussion here i come to know an apt option.. thanks..

...For the second time...

@Mohanasmith

Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by sticking your problem on the end. Please start a new thread of your own.

You have not told us what distro you are using or where and how you downloaded KDE from

The problem is you're taking a Windows 7 mindset, applying it to Linux, and then complaining Linux "lack functionality" because it doesn't behave exactly like Windows.

Because Microsoft is proprietary you'll never find an OS that is a 1:1 Windows clone. Same reason you can't run/install Mac programs and files on a Windows OS.

A simple Google search gave me an answer to your USB renaming issue:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive

You could also get Ubuntu and run VMware with windows 7 as a virtual machine.

I'd recommend also like others here,on Zorin OS, or Kubuntu in my opinion for it brings familiar desktop environment and easy move but still maintain a unique identity which also look better.

Transformation can be hard at first, you could install Linux alongside Windows as in my opinion worth it for cases like you need to run games or applications that are not supported by Linux

WINE is a compatibility layer that allows Linux to run Windows apps.

Members online