Windows 10 October Update

GTK48

Reaction score
Credits
I was wondering if anyone here would know that if one is dual booting using Grub2 , if this would have any effect on The Windows 10 1809 update?

a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring control to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux)
The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system.
Only ONE OS can be loaded at any one time...

Therefore, NO the fact that grub 2 is used will have no effect on win 10 1809 update

As you are also a member over at BC (I am too...as are many of the members here )........I reckon you should spend more time here ! :) You will find the guys here WAY more friendly than over 'there'
;):rolleyes::p

better still....just install linux on its own and that will take care of that !

Brian

I was wondering if anyone here would know that if one is dual booting using Grub2 , if this would have any effect on The Windows 10 1809 update?
That's a good question, but we probably won't really know until it is released. It's possible that some computer brands will leave grub intact, while others may allow Windows to again dominate the boot process. But perhaps none will break, or maybe all will break.

The sad reality is that you cannot refuse updates from Windows anymore. And each one they release seems unpredictable and capable of breaking many things. I keep Windows 7 running but have disabled updates on it... the decision for me is to risk danger from the Internet rather than to continue to risk the danger of Microsoft. :eek::D

Cheers

I think I read the question backwards! :D I guess you want to know if grub will break Windows.... but I think the possibility is more likely that the Windows update might break grub. Time will tell.

Cheers

a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring control to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux)
The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system.
Only ONE OS can be loaded at any one time...

Therefore, NO the fact that grub 2 is used will have no effect on win 10 1809 update

As you are also a member over at BC (I am too...as are many of the members here )........I reckon you should spend more time here ! :) You will find the guys here WAY more friendly than over 'there'
;):rolleyes::p

better still....just install linux on its own and that will take care of that !

Brian
What is BC?

@ GTK ....Are you booting windows 10 with Linux , yourself ?

Do you need win 10 for anything in particular ?....such as something that Linux can't do ?...a program that will only run in windows etc..?

I had win 10 running in a virtual machine on my Linux pc.

I did this to keep myself up to date with the machinations of win 10 for forum work over at bc. Win 10 was a b it foreign to me at the time, so it was good to keep an eye on it in real time.

Eventually, I really lost interest. There are only so many bsod reports and failed updates etc etc that I could pay attention to. I became fed up with posting the

route to repair windows update.

So...kapoof went the virtual machine and win 10 with it. Finish.

I have never looked back.

But then again, my needs and habits are obviously different to everybody else'....hence my question at the start of this post.

Crap such as THIS is more than enough to keep me away.

Last edited:
@GTK48 (that is such a good userid), I remember liking your post on PCLOS end of August. :)

...if one is dual booting using Grub2 , if this would have any effect on The Windows 10 1809 update?

Ask me in 5 days - I run 43 Linux on my Toshiba Satellite but it has no Windows (thank God). On this new Dell Inspiron, Win 10, with 14 Linux so far.

Can't see it causing a problem, but then I don't do updates on The Dozer, and so far it has not forced me to.

My avatar and userid here is the same as it was over at BC, but there, it has red blood dripping saying Banned. Go figure :rolleyes:

Avagudweegend.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I dual boot Linux and Windows, both 7 and 10. I do set it up a little differently, so I have both the MBR and Grub intact and on different partitions or disks. This YouTube video describes how it is done. It is "Non-traditional," but so far, I haven't had a Windows update mess up Grub, and I haven't had a Linux update mess up Windows 7 or 10. I am doing this on 5 machines over the last 5 years.

Here is a link to the video:

That'd be right ... growl ... just as I am heading off for my night :)

Thanks for sharing, Bayou, I will take a look at this.

Cheers

Wiz

I will be using Linux more after this Friday. I have some parts coming in that will allow me to use Linux without Windows 10.

I dual boot Linux and Windows, both 7 and 10.
Interesting video, but focused on older MBR systems. On your Windows 10 setup, did you have to disable UEFI and Secure Boot? From what I can tell (reading here), EasyBCD may not work with newer UEFI systems.

Cheers

Hi atanere,
No, I didn't have to disable UEFI or Secure Boot, but I disable Secure Boot by default. I did this by default on my 4 other machines running Win 7. I never tried using Secure Boot since it caused problems with Linux installs at first (around Mint 17 I think?). The latest version of EasyBCD worked just fine on my newest desktop, I have older versions on my older laptops. It is an ASUS motherboard with a Ryzen 7 CPU. I have Win 10 dual booting with Cinnamon 19 with UEFI. You can do what EasyBCD does by editing your windows MBR under "MSConfig>Boot" tab, but you better know what you are doing, thus the use of EasyBCD to point to the partition where Grub2 is installed. When you select the Linux option it loads Grub 2. Now the reason I am using Win 10 (it's not that I prefer Windows), it is because this computer is my security camera computer. I have 11 POE cameras attached to this machine. I know I could use Linux for this, but all the good IP camera software for Linux is currently to costly for my blood. Thus I am forced to use Windows and Blue Iris.:eek:

Last edited:
Now, THAT'S interesting, Louisiana Mate :)

I would have thought the same with EasyBCD, as Stan. I might bookmark this.

Thanks for sharing.

Wiz

This is what all my desktops and laptops look like on an initial boot. This first screen (excuse the bad picture my cell phone is old), if I let it time out or press enter, the computer will load Windows. These shots are of my main desktop. Sorry the whitbar makes it difficlut to see that "Windows 7" is highlighted.

TzHz6lG.jpg

This second shot is Grub2. I get this screen by hitting the down arrow on the first screen and then "Enter."

Qk5x7Jh.jpg

From here I can load Mint or if I made a mistake, you know typical cockpit error, I can select "Windows Boot Loader" at the bottom, and it will take me back to the first screen where I could select Windows.

It's pretty simple, and a Windows update won't destroy or overwrite my Grub 2, and likewise, a Linux update to Grub won't mess with my Windows boot loader.

Staff online

Members online