Win10 & elementary os ( change from elementary to Mint )

Kezar21

Reaction score
Credits
hello guys i own lenovo z500 with win10 and i tried to install elementary os looks like there are much problem and with my wifi and cant make it work properly i decide to change the elementary to mint as a moderator told me is a lil easier for new users like me.

my question now is how i delete elementary os and install mint without any problem in my win 10?

Hi @Kezar21 :)

From Terminal in Loki, can you please give me the output of the following

Code:
inxi -Fxs

I am particularly interested in the part regarding Drives and Partitions, mine looks like this

Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (0.6% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB temp: 33C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 14G used: 5.7G (43%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda46

... but you can give us the lot, won't hurt.

Does your Lenovo's specs look more or less like this? https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-z500-15-6-core-i7-3632qm-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/specs/

You could also give me the output for the following two commands

Code:
ls /sys/firmware/efi

#and

sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda

... Those are lowercase L's in each instance.

From these commands we can establish whether you are on UEFI-GPT or BIOS-MBR, and that will help us to help you install Linux Mint in the best spot.

As things stand, you will likely have, on startup, a Grub Menu which features Loki on top, followed a couple of lines later by reference to Windows Boot Manager, where you boot into Win 10. True?

I am looking to have you install Linux Mint, which will then take the top spot over Loki. Provided that install is satisfactory in every way, then you can use a tool called GParted, which is the GNOME Partition Editor, to remove Loki, reclaim the space, update your system configuration, and then when you reboot you will have a Grub Menu featuring Linux Mint on top, and still giving you Windows access.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

No members online now.