Will microsoft word pad documents open in a linux office suite?

Wordpad and MS Office docs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) will open in Openoffice, LibreOffice, and KOffice.

The base "Linux Office" suites typically do not handle Visio.

If you have complex formulas in Excel or complex formatting in Word, sometime those will be an issue that needs to be adjusted. The most I've had to do is a bit of re-formatting of Word docs.

Which office suite are you looking at?

Most of the time you'll be fine. I've run into a few times when odd Windows metadata chars appear though. I think when entering newline characters (Enter key) in notepad it would show up as odd characters when opening the file in vi, but not always :confused: kind of odd.

If you do open it in Linux and it has odd characters at the end of each line or something similar, you can use a program dos2unix to convert the file and remove those odd characters.

Wordpad and MS Office docs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) will open in Openoffice, LibreOffice, and KOffice.

The base "Linux Office" suites typically do not handle Visio.

If you have complex formulas in Excel or complex formatting in Word, sometime those will be an issue that needs to be adjusted. The most I've had to do is a bit of re-formatting of Word docs.

Which office suite are you looking at?
KOffice is now at http://www.calligra.org/
Kingsoft Office for Linux (in Alpha at the moment) also works.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts