Will I be able to and how to keep data

simm2

Reaction score
Credits
Hey, I currently have a home computer that is a couple of years old and runs windows. I was thinking of installing Linux to breathe new life into it, but just wanted to know if were to install my distro of choice (deepin) would I still have all my files and everything? I know it sounds like a pretty elementary question but I truly am I, beginner. All help is appreciated!

would I still have all my files and everything?

If you install Linux on the whole Hard Disk --- no. You will wipe out the Windows files and replace them with Linux. You could copy them off first, for example to an external Hard Drive and then replace them in Linux. Whether you can then run/open them in Linux is a question of what kind of files they are. Some might be compatible with Linux, others may not be.

One way around this is to initially "dual boot". This means you can run BOTH Linux and Windows and choose which one you want to use. You can keep your Windows files in Windows.

For example, look here https://www.howtogeek.com/509508/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-linux/

Alright, thank you!

I might just copy the I care about a drive, as I'm aware windows applications don't run on linux

Members online

Latest posts