WiiMote Whiteboard software for Linux?

D

DVandy

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot--I am a new member and this seemed like the best place to post this.

I recently found out about building IR pens and interactive whiteboards using a Wii remote. It is called the WiiMote Whiteboard. It sounds very interesting. There are videos online that will take you through the process of constructing these for around $100 (or less, depending on how much you want to do yourself). This project sounds fantastic. As a teacher, I have several uses in mind already!

However, here is the catch: I am using Linux Mint, and have not been successful in finding WiiMote Whiteboard software that will work in Linux Mint. Does anyone have any suggestions on what software I can use? Does anyone know if the Windows version of WiiMote software (Smoothboard) can be run through WINE? Smoothboard sounds exciting, but there is no Linux version of the software, and there are no plans to create any. There is supposedly some kind of Java app that will work in Linux, but I haven't got it figured out.

I sure would like to be able to have a Linux-powered interactive whiteboard for teaching, but so far I have come up empty-handed. My goal is to have all Linux apps and not use Windows for anything, but this WiiMote Whiteboard project seems to be the one project that kills that idea--unless someone can come up with an adequate solution. BTW; The WiiMote software for Windows (Smoothboard) is not free, but I would gladly pay what they are asking if I could get it to work in Linux. Of course, if I can get something that works in Linux for free, I would be very happy! What can any of you come up with?

Thanks in advance.

This is supposed to work with Linux: Remove spaces between dots and slashes. The software won't allow me to post links since I don't have 5 yet.

www . uweschmidt . org / wiimote-whiteboard

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot--I am a new member and this seemed like the best place to post this.

I recently found out about building IR pens and interactive whiteboards using a Wii remote. It is called the WiiMote Whiteboard. It sounds very interesting. There are videos online that will take you through the process of constructing these for around $100 (or less, depending on how much you want to do yourself). This project sounds fantastic. As a teacher, I have several uses in mind already!

However, here is the catch: I am using Linux Mint, and have not been successful in finding WiiMote Whiteboard software that will work in Linux Mint. Does anyone have any suggestions on what software I can use? Does anyone know if the Windows version of WiiMote software (Smoothboard) can be run through WINE? Smoothboard sounds exciting, but there is no Linux version of the software, and there are no plans to create any. There is supposedly some kind of Java app that will work in Linux, but I haven't got it figured out.

I sure would like to be able to have a Linux-powered interactive whiteboard for teaching, but so far I have come up empty-handed. My goal is to have all Linux apps and not use Windows for anything, but this WiiMote Whiteboard project seems to be the one project that kills that idea--unless someone can come up with an adequate solution. BTW; The WiiMote software for Windows (Smoothboard) is not free, but I would gladly pay what they are asking if I could get it to work in Linux. Of course, if I can get something that works in Linux for free, I would be very happy! What can any of you come up with?

Thanks in advance.

This is supposed to work with Linux: Remove spaces between dots and slashes. The software won't allow me to post links since I don't have 5 yet.

www . uweschmidt . org / wiimote-whiteboard

Yes, I already downloaded that one. But I couldn't get it to run. I needed to configure something or make adjustments--I don't know. It didn't work for me. I may try it again.

Members online