wihch is the best linux distro for restart using linux

Martix

Reaction score
Credits
hi i am new on this forum.
I have already had experience on linux, now I have decided to return on it,but I am undecided whether to use ubuntu or arch linux. can someone advice me wihch is the most performant and simple to use?

G'day Martix, and Welcome to linux.org

Your easiest to use will be Linux Mint 19.3

The performance will depend on the PC you are loading it onto.

Linux is free....so.....load up a usb thumb drive and give it a run.

You have nothing to lose by trying it.

Welcome back. Best to try using live media to test them out. Remember some are 64bit only - I don't know what the specs of your machine are perhaps more details please.

G'day @Matrix and welcome
I second @Condobloke recommendations as I also run Mint but 19.2, but personally have looked at Manjaro and MX distros and they also are easy use straight off the bat.

What distros have you previously used?
As you can see, there are a lot of Mint and 'Buntu fanbois here. Everyone has their favorites.
Also, what is your hardware? Only with this information can your question be answered with anything other than pure subjectivity (LMBO)!

I would not advise to use Ubuntu, especially their new versions. Linux Mint Mate 18.3 is the easiest to use and very enjoyable system.

You can also try Sparkylinux which in my opinion is superior to mint, but requires a small skill to use.

What did you eventually go with?

I vote for Arch

What distros have you previously used?
As you can see, there are a lot of Mint and 'Buntu fanbois here. Everyone has their favorites.
Also, what is your hardware? Only with this information can your question be answered with anything other than pure subjectivity (LMBO)!
yeah we need more slackers

I would not advise to use Ubuntu, especially their new versions. Linux Mint Mate 18.3 is the easiest to use and very enjoyable system.

You can also try Sparkylinux which in my opinion is superior to mint, but requires a small skill to use.
i've got linuxmint-19.3-mate-64bit.iso

At the end of the day, what's important is what works best for you, on your hardware!

All Linux distros are pretty much the same underneath. The main differences are in the installation method, the package management system, the default desktop environment and the default set of software that is pre-installed. And in a few cases - there are distros which use a slightly different init system.
But overall, they're all basically variants of the same thing!

So I'd say take some time to download the .iso's for a few different distros, with different desktops and then burn each of them to a USB thumb-drive and give them a test-drive. See what you like and come to a decision yourself.

Asking for recommendations is probably just going to confuse you further, because everybody you ask have will have a slightly different answer!

I would not advise to use Ubuntu, especially their new versions.

If you have a computer that has the horsepower tho run Ubuntu 18.04 or Ubuntu 20.04 there is no better Linux Distro imo.

Linux Mint Mate 18.3 is the easiest to use and very enjoyable system.

Linux Mint any version is a good Linux distro and easy for the new Linux user wanting to make the transition from Windows over to Linux.

They're are several Linux distros just as easy to learn to use as Linux Mint.

No arguments on this and yes perhaps a small learning curve which is easily mastered.

I use SparkyLinux Xfce and LXQT and both are excellent Distros imo.

hi i am new on this forum.
I have already had experience on linux, now I have decided to return on it,but I am undecided whether to use ubuntu or arch linux. can someone advice me wihch is the most performant and simple to use?
I've returned to Linux recently as well.
Went through Ubuntu, Fedora, PopOS, Manjaro. Settled for Manjaro. It's a matter of what you feel is most stable. I like gnome more than the other DE. Manjaro is a rolling distribution, which suits me well.

I've been using Linux almost full time for more than 2 month. First time ever. It's ready for prime time. From gaming to virtualisation, it can do all of it well.

I am undecided whether to use ubuntu or arch linux. can someone advice me wihch is the most performant and simple to use?
Of the two, I would say Ubuntu is definitely the "easiest" to use.
Arch Linux can probably be made to be "most performant" because of the amount of software in the repository and especially in the Arch User Repository. But Arch would probably be much more of a challenge to use.
If you want "most performant and simple to use" in a single distro I would recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu or even Pop OS.

Of the two, I would say Ubuntu is definitely the "easiest" to use.
Arch Linux can probably be made to be "most performant" because of the amount of software in the repository and especially in the Arch User Repository. But Arch would probably be much more of a challenge to use.
If you want "most performant and simple to use" in a single distro I would recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu or even Pop OS.
I moved from Ubuntu to Pop OS to Manjaro. Both Ubuntu and Pop OS did not work well on a Surface Pro 2017 that I have. Manjaro with the right kernel worked flawlessly. Hence I stuck to it on my Desktop as well. Managed to set up Manjaro KVM with graphics card passthrough few days ago but without something as high performance as Looking Glass for linux, I'll try setting it up for Windows instead when I've the time.

I've set up Manjaro Gnome as the host OS with a Manjaro Gnome guest as a daily driver and a Windows guest (with Nvidia passthrough) for gaming, with Looking Glass and Scream. Challenging but fulfilling.

Buy a few USB thumb drives, download a few distros, run each in their Live session. Pick one, save the others for later when you start changing your mind.

Or, pick one, install it, run it until you get tired of it. Then pick another one, install it, ... wash/rinse/repeat. Did that for 10 - 12 years, lots of different Linux/BSD distros, then found Kubuntu about 12 or so years ago. And still with it!

Members online

Latest posts