WiFi suddenly fails

R

Rixter

Evening:

Last night I had laptop operating/used WiFi. This morning, boot up...no Wifi. Can't turn it "on" within program WiFi settings. (WiFi icon>settings>on). Yes, there is WiFi where I'm at because I have it on phone.
Now what's wrong with LM17.1? LED indicator for WiFi breifly "turns on", but just for a second when booting up. Right now, I'm D/l Pinguy to pendrive and will run it live to see if I can get WiFi to operate. Any ideas on what to do/correct LM17.1 to get WiFi returned? Something major wrong with LM17.1 for I have multiple other malfunctions!!
Very Frustrated With LM17.1:
Rick

REPLY TO: ryanvade and others:

Ah....yes. I suppose that might help!! OK: Atheros AR5B195 WiFi chip~ Hp 2000-210 notebook.
I should say this: I D/l Ubuntu 14.04.1 LIVE to pendrive and ran it. WiFi worked. Unplugged pendrive and booted to Hdd w/ LM17.1 and the WiFi was back???? So, I'll ask: Colud've the live version loaded/repaired a driver? If not, what could have caused the malfunction?
THANK YOU:
Rick

hmm. I am assuming that your chip uses the Ath5k or Ath9k kernel module. Normally devices that use one of these modules don't run into too many issues. I think your wireless card is being reset every time you startup an OS so that probably fixes any issue you have.

More then likely there is some issue with power settings for the device or wpa resetting.

REPLY TO ryanvade:

Thank You for your response. I'd like to mark this thread "SOLVED", yet am hesitant to do so for I haven't a clue as to the "fix". I cannot respond to the whether the chip uses 5k or 9k because I simply do not know. I'd like to ask what is your experience (if any) in dealing with issues pertaining to videocams & "Cheese". Got a problem that's been plaguing this laptop for over 5 months.
Stay Sharp:
Rick

addendum: Completely by accident (was searching for something concerning laptop's webcam) I found this in lsmod command: ath9k_common, ath9k, ath 9k_hw. Does this answer the question of which kernel the WiFi chip uses?

Last edited:
I would also add consider the fact that the wifi card/chip may be starting to malfunction. I have a toshiba laptop that exhibited the same behavior with intermittent periods of it working and others where it did not. I bought me a 10 dollar USB wifi compatible with linux which worked straight out of the box.

I would also add consider the fact that the wifi card/chip may be starting to malfunction. I have a toshiba laptop that exhibited the same behavior with intermittent periods of it working and others where it did not. I bought me a 10 dollar USB wifi compatible with linux which worked straight out of the box.
There has been a problem with these in Puppy in the past and some patching was required. Buy a good usb wifi as above.

REPLY TO : Darren Hale & Melray

Thanx for your feedback. OK, certainly with the age of this laptop (5 yrs.) a failing chip could be a possibility. I had a USB Linux compatible WiFi about a year ago that cost $12. It lasted all of 6 mos. before falling apart! I can get a WiFi chip for this laptop for $5-$7. Hey, do either of you know much about Linux-webcams and 'cheese". Have an enduring issue that has not been 'fixed" for over 5 months.
Stay Sharp:
Rick

Thanx for your feedback. OK, certainly with the age of this laptop (5 yrs.) a failing chip could be a possibility. I had a USB Linux compatible WiFi about a year ago that cost $12. It lasted all of 6 mos. before falling apart! I can get a WiFi chip for this laptop for $5-$7. Hey, do either of you know much about Linux-webcams and 'cheese". Have an enduring issue that has not been 'fixed" for over 5 months.
Stay Sharp:
Rick
That would also depend on the make/model of the webcam. Most webcams are supported by v4lforLinux which is primarily what Cheese uses

To ryanvade~ ALL:

Ok, THANX, but be warned...you may regret this!!! LOL LOL Specs: Hp2000-210 notebook, LinuxMint 17.1 64bit, primarily trying 'cheese", HP VGA integrated webcam, Intel Corp. Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller. Very intermittently, the cam has "activated", but only for a period of 5 secs. to about 2 1/2 mins., then shut down and error reports "No Device Found" or "There Was a Problem With Video"(w/ Cheese), in VLC the error report is:
"VLC is unable to open the MRL 'v4l2://'. Check the log for details." and with guvcview it's error report is "Check for appropriate drivers"
Here's what I've tried, so far: Wiping/re-installing O.S (4x), trying to revert from v4l2 back to v4l, un-install/re-install 'cheese". I've been asked for and posted so many "readouts", I've lost track. Although I'm not saying this is a definite, I feel it has to do with improper or un-installed drivers(?). Have spent a lot of time trying to find specifically what driver this webcam needs and haven't found out, yet. All I know for sure is that the integrated cam does operate, so I think we can rule out hardware(?) I've been trying to resolve this issue since installation of LM17.1 last August. Well, there's the gist of it. If you should need any more info, please request it.
Thank You:
Rick

Stay Sharp:
Rick
No problems mate internal WIFI cards die and usb WIFI adaptors are pretty cheap support varies though.

Members online