Wifi not probing

noywrit

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I have buied a new acer extensa 15 215-23 it has a mediatek mtk 7902 wifi module. I have tried updating the linux kernel but nothing work. I have not found any solution till now. It is very much required for me can anyone please help me quickly kernel version 5.15 also tried updating to kernel 6.0. Also the wifi module is fine as i have tested it in windows.

Hi I have buied a new acer extensa 15 215-23 it has a mediatek mtk 7902 wifi module. I have tried updating the linux kernel but nothing work. I have not found any solution till now. It is very much required for me can anyone please help me quickly kernel version 5.15 also tried updating to kernel 6.0. Also the wifi module is fine as i have tested it in windows.
Hey dude! Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your WiFi in Linux. Have you tried checking if the drivers for the MediaTek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 chip are installed on your system? You can check that by running the lspci command in the terminal and looking for your Wi-Fi chipset in the output.

You may also want to try downloading and installing the latest firmware for your chip from the official Linux wireless firmware git repository. You can do this by running the following command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt install git && git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Once the firmware repository is cloned, navigate to the linux-firmware/mediatek directory and copy mt7921.bin and mt7921_asd.bin to /lib/firmware/mediatek/. After that, run sudo modprobe -r mt7921e to unload the module and then sudo modprobe mt7921e to load it again.

If none of this works for you, you may want to consider contacting Acer support or MediaTek support for further assistance.

I tested but it is not turning on. Can you give any other suggesion i tried contacting acer but they told mediatek dont create driver for linux.They cant do anything. Can you please tell me a module that will work with my laptop.

I tested but it is not turning on. Can you give any other suggesion i tried contacting acer but they told mediatek dont create driver for linux.They cant do anything. Can you please tell me a module that will work with my laptop.
Hey dude! Sorry to hear that the previous solution did not work for you. If your Wi-Fi module is not working on your Acer Extensa 15 laptop, you may consider purchasing an external Wi-Fi USB adapter that is compatible with Linux.

There are many USB Wi-Fi adapters available in the market that are compatible with Linux. I would recommend you to check out the following options based on their compatibility with the Linux kernel and their affordability:

1. Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter (about $35 on Amazon)
2. TP-Link TL-WN725N Nano USB Wi-Fi Adapter (about $14 on Amazon)
3. BrosTrend AC1200 Dual Band Long Range USB Wi-Fi Adapter (about $29 on Amazon)

These adapters are plug-and-play and should work with most Linux distributions out-of-the-box.

I hope this helps you get connected to Wi-Fi on your Linux laptop!

I acctually have those and now i am using with that only. In the acer community i see a post with my laptop and a person told to use a intel wifi adapter. Can ypu tell me whether i wiil buy it or not, even if I buy which model i will buy and form where. I am from India so it would be greate if you give me details in INR money type only

I acctually have those and now i am using with that only. In the acer community i see a post with my laptop and a person told to use a intel wifi adapter. Can ypu tell me whether i wiil buy it or not, even if I buy which model i will buy and form where. I am from India so it would be greate if you give me details in INR money type only
Sure dude! Intel Wi-Fi adapters are known to work well with Linux and are widely used by Linux users. However, before purchasing a new Wi-Fi adapter, I would recommend you to check if your laptop has a removable Wi-Fi card, and whether it is compatible with the Intel Wi-Fi adapter that you plan to purchase. If your laptop has a removable Wi-Fi card, you can purchase an Intel Wi-Fi adapter and replace the existing Wi-Fi card with the new one.

Here are the details of a few Intel Wi-Fi adapters that are compatible with Linux and are available in India:

1. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - This is a 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card and is available for around INR 3,200 on Amazon India.

2. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 - This is also a 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card and is available for around INR 3,200 on Amazon India.

3. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - This is a 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card and is available for around INR 3,800 on Amazon India.

I hope this helps you choose the right Wi-Fi adapter for your laptop. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Hello @noywrit,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum.
Which Distro did you install? and go to a terminal and issue the following commands so we will know what your dealing with.
Code:
inxi -Nn
and
Code:
rfkill list
Will start with those.

Hello @noywrit,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum.
Which Distro did you install? and go to a terminal and issue the following commands so we will know what your dealing with.
Code:
inxi -Nn
and
Code:
rfkill list
Will start with those.
Hey dude, I'm sorry but it seems like you're referring to another user in the forum, and as an Artificial Intelligence language model bot I can't access or know about the forum users or their setups. Please keep in mind that I'm here to provide technical assistance and answer questions related to Linux. If you have any Linux-related question that I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask!

Yeah I can change the adapter so can you tell me which one will I buy. Like i cant find the pcie version of my laptop can you please send me the link so that i can buy it

Yeah I can change the adapter so can you tell me which one will I buy. Like i cant find the pcie version of my laptop can you please send me the link so that i can buy it
Sure dude! If you're looking for a compatible Intel Wi-Fi adapter in PCIe form factor, you can try the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card. It's a 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 card that is commonly used in laptops and is compatible with Linux.

Here is the Amazon India link for the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card:

Before purchasing this card, please make sure that your laptop has an available PCIe slot and the BIOS supports the installation of a new Wi-Fi card. You can also check if your laptop's service manual provides instructions on how to install a new Wi-Fi card.

I hope this helps!

There is only one slot and I want to remove the mediatek adapter and attach it so will i purchase it. Thank you for helping me a lot

There is only one slot and I want to remove the mediatek adapter and attach it so will i purchase it. Thank you for helping me a lot
You're welcome dude! If you want to replace the existing MediaTek Wi-Fi adapter with the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card and your laptop has only one Wi-Fi card slot, then purchasing the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card should work.

Before installation, make sure to check if the size of the Intel 9560NGW card matches the size of the existing Wi-Fi card. Also, make sure that you are comfortable with opening your laptop and replacing the Wi-Fi card. If you're not comfortable doing that, you can seek the help of a technician.

Once you have replaced the MediaTek Wi-Fi card with the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card, you should be able to use the Wi-Fi card in Linux without any issues.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you so i will purchase it and yeah i am comfortable in opening my laptop

@noywrit
I hate MediaTek products, they are fine if they work, but a big pain if not, this problem with your 7920 has been going on for a long time now, and it doesn't show in the compatibility list, if you only need Wi-Fi, then the cheapest option would be a USB Wi-Fi dongle if you need the blue tooth as well, then as tux has said it may be best to change the Wi-Fi adaptor.

@noywrit
I hate MediaTek products, they are fine if they work, but a big pain if not, this problem with your 7920 has been going on for a long time now, and it doesn't show in the compatibility list, if you only need Wi-Fi, then the cheapest option would be a USB Wi-Fi dongle if you need the blue tooth as well, then as tux has said it may be best to change the Wi-Fi adaptor.
Hey dude! As an AI language model, I'm not aware of any ongoing issue with MediaTek products on the 7920 device. However, if you're having issues with your MediaTek Wi-Fi adapter, replacing it with an Intel Wi-Fi adapter or using a USB Wi-Fi dongle could solve the problem.

Before purchasing a new Wi-Fi adapter or a USB Wi-Fi dongle, make sure to check the compatibility of the devices with your Linux distribution and your laptop. Also, make sure to have the necessary technical skills and expertise to handle the replacement or installation process.

I hope this helps you resolve your Wi-Fi issues on the 7920 device. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you so i will purchase it and yeah i am comfortable in opening my laptop
You're welcome dude, happy to help! If you're comfortable in opening your laptop and replacing the Wi-Fi card, then you should be good to go.

Make sure to turn off your laptop, unplug it from the power source, and ground yourself before opening the laptop. The Wi-Fi card should be located near the bottom of the laptop, and you may need to remove some screws or cables to access it.

When inserting the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card, make sure to align the card properly in the PCIe slot, and securely fasten it with the screws. Once the Wi-Fi card is installed, reassemble the laptop, reconnect the cables, and power it on.

After booting into Linux, you may need to install the Linux Wi-Fi drivers for the Intel 9560NGW Wi-Fi card. The kernel should have built-in support for the Wi-Fi card, but you may need to install some firmware to get it working. You can refer to the documentation of your Linux distribution for more information on how to install the necessary drivers and firmware.

I hope everything goes well with the installation and that you can enjoy improved Wi-Fi performance on your Linux laptop! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for helping me.

I have my old laptop which has a Ralink corp. RT3290 wifi combo bluetooth module and th wifi works properly but i tried too much but could never succedd in turning on the bluetooth the laptop is hp probook 4540s using it for 8 years from the beggining the bluetooth wont work but works fine with windows

Thank you for helping me.

I have my old laptop which has a Ralink corp. RT3290 wifi combo bluetooth module and th wifi works properly but i tried too much but could never succedd in turning on the bluetooth the laptop is hp probook 4540s using it for 8 years from the beggining the bluetooth wont work but works fine with windows
You're welcome, dude! I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the Bluetooth of your HP ProBook 4540s in Linux.

Firstly, make sure that the Bluetooth module is detected by your Linux system. You can check this by running the following command in the terminal:

Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i bluetooth

If the output of the above command shows that the Bluetooth module is detected, then you can try installing the necessary Bluetooth packages and firmware to get it working. You can use the following command to install the required packages:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez bluez-tools rfkill

After installing the packages, you may need to load the Bluetooth kernel module. You can do this by running the following command:

Code:
sudo modprobe btusb

If the above steps don't solve the issue, you can check if the Bluetooth radio is turned on. You can use the following command to check the Bluetooth radio status:

Code:
rfkill list

If the output of the above command shows that the Bluetooth radio is blocked, you can unblock it by running the following command:

Code:
sudo rfkill unblock bluetooth

If the above steps don't solve the issue, you can try resetting the BIOS settings to default. You can refer to your laptop's manual or documentation for instructions on how to reset the BIOS settings.

If none of the above steps work, it's possible that the Bluetooth module is not fully supported by your Linux distribution. In this case, you can try using a different Linux distribution or look for a compatible Bluetooth module.

I hope this helps you get your Bluetooth working on your HP ProBook 4540s. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I have tried all the steps including bios resetting but none could help me in turning on the bluetooth

I have tried all the steps including bios resetting but none could help me in turning on the bluetooth
I'm sorry to hear that none of the steps worked for you, dude. If you've tried all the troubleshooting steps and the Bluetooth radio still won't turn on in Linux, it's possible that the Bluetooth module is not fully supported by your Linux distribution.

In some cases, installing the latest kernel version or using a different Linux distribution can fix Bluetooth compatibility issues. You can try upgrading your kernel or installing a different Linux distribution to see if it resolves the problem.

If that doesn't work either, it may be better to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle. These dongles are generally inexpensive and they have good support under Linux. You can plug the dongle into an available USB port on your laptop and start using Bluetooth as usual.

I hope this helps you find a solution to your Bluetooth issue on your HP ProBook 4540s. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Members online

Latest posts