WIFI no longer works after updated Linux Mint 21.1 Vera

tinajon88

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!, have being using Mint since 2010 and never had a problem, also used Fedora for a while , but ended up with Mint.
2 Weeks ago upgraded to Vera 21.1, ran some updates and soon after my WIFI no longer works, read some posts
people say is due to a new Kernel and old machine, That might be true answer, but no True Linux since my WIFI
works perfectly in Windoze 10 or any other Windoze,
QUESTION: Is this lack of support will get fixed , or Mint dropped old machines as a new Philosophy ?, it would be
a shame, Thousands of people in LatinAmerica and Africa use Mint and old machines; so there is no excuse if that is the case;
Please kindly advise, Thank you.

Welcome, it would help if you gave us details of your machine, or if you have alternative internet for it, run inxi -Fnxxz and paste the results back here,

run inxi -Fnxxz

I suppose this works OK for Ubuntu/Debian/Mint distro's. But Redhat/CentOS/Oracle/SuSE/Fedora
typically don't have inxi installed by default, and in some cases you have to enable external (non-standard) repo's to do so.

Hi!, thank you for your message; I am a retired guy but started using PCs with IBM-XT, wao , very old guy, anyways, just trying to say i know my way around and did all i could to be free from Billy Bad Gates and company :), SORRY !, GOOD NEWS, during boot i choose advanced options, selected to recover using kernel 15.0.47 , machine rebooted and "some how", dont ask me what happened now i have the lastest kernel and wifi works !!!!, THANK you again for your message;

Attachments

• MINT-VERA21.1-ENE18.jpg
    MINT-VERA21.1-ENE18.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 180
Hi!, thank you for your message; I am a retired guy but started using PCs with IBM-XT, wao , very old guy, anyways, just trying to say i know my way around and did all i could to be free from Billy Bad Gates and company :), SORRY !, GOOD NEWS, during boot i choose advanced options, selected to recover using kernel 15.0.47 , machine rebooted and "some how", dont ask me what happened now i have the lastest kernel and wifi works !!!!, THANK you again for your message;
Mint comes with inxi by default please give us the output of Inxi -Nn Usually in mint when a newer kernel is introduced all modules are rebuilt. But in some cases that does not happen. If you have a time shift snapshot you can go back to the last one that worked and you should get your wifi working again. Even if you don't have the timeshift snap shot you Mint does not usually delete the older kernel. So as you have found out you can boot to that and you wifi should be working again.
In time the newer kernel maybe patched to work with your card.

Looks like he is good now, Dave.

But a Timeshift snapshot is advisable.

Wiz

Thank you all very much for your messages, YES i use Timeshift, but not snapshots :(, good tip,
for now i have this backup on the HD and also on a USB drive, just in case, THANK YOU.