WiFi dongle driver don't work

C

Conflux

I have a WiFi dongle that said to support GNU/Linux, however no drivers were found on the CD, after hours of research i found this(wiki(_D_O_T_)debian(_D_O_T_)org/rt2800usb) and installed the driver, I'm pretty sure my device is listed as supported, but the device is still not recognized, it is listed on lsusb command, but not recognized by any WiFi program like WiFi Radar and wireless-tools, also when i use the iwconfig command, this(pastebin(_D_O_T_)com/Z11QfP2N) is what i see, i really need this wireless connection working, can you help me, please?

OBS: Remove the (_D_O_T_) from the URLs

Thanks in advance.

Not sure that I understand what you say.

1) Are you using Debian? If so, what version?

2) The wiki says
It is included in the mainline Linux kernel since version 2.6.31 and replaces the rt2870sta staging driver in Debian 7 "Wheezy" and later releases.1 Firmware is required and available in the firmware-ralink package.

3) In Debian you won't find the driver on the disk. Vanilla, plain Debian initially only gives you "free" apps. To get firmware you need to either get a customised disk or change your sources list.

I'll wait for more information before telling you how to proceed...

The CD i meant is the dongle CD.

1) Yes, stable latest version
2) I know it, and as i said, the package is already installed
3) Already changed sources list and successfuly installed the firmware-ralink package

What is the output, if you input into a Terminal: lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp.
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse

Tried to compile the driver myself, followed this tutorial: forums(DOT)debian(_D_O_T_)net/viewtopic(_D_O_T_)php?f=16&t=91173

I couldn't find the files it said to edit, so i just jumped to the compiling part, and got that error while doing the make command(free translation from Portuguese to English):
cp: impossible to create common file "/tftpboot": Permission denied
make: ** [LINUX] Error 1

OBS: did it as root

edit:
I tried to compile again and managed to do it just fine, but again, nothing changed... It's starting to get weird...

Last edited:
As stevepusser says, across on Debian User Forums, the driver might not be in the Kernel you are using. To check which Kernel you have try the command

To get a more recent Kernel I have often used the script smxi - http://smxi.org/

Members online

Latest posts