Wifi Adapter(s) Driver(s) Issues

whatmecomment

Reaction score
Credits
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Mate
Been trying to get several usb Wifi adapters installed with no luck with even 1. Have searched the net for answers with all kinds of advice from various forums & sites,and all sorts of different answers, unfortunately nothing seems to help.
First let me say I do have all the install disks that come with these adapters and they all have Linux Drivers, which I have not been able to install...When trying install.sh I get notice that says; No autorun Program. Since this operating system install is only a week old it maybe that some updates are not.The onboard wifi installed automatically thankfully.
Here are some of the wifi adapter driver headings (Linux)
Driver 1 wf 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter
Driver rtl88
Netsis Driver
In Depth on 1 next above;
realtec
netsis
Product:
RTL8188C/8192C USB Software Package - Linux Driver
Version:
v3.4.4_4749.20121105
I have attempted using commands such as sudo apt install and sudo apt-get install software-name on the drivers themselves in assorted variations but no luck.
I have installed ndiswrapper and Hardware Probe, results of probe for 1 adapter at https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?probe=3b238e9924

When I run lspci in Mate terminal I get;
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 31f0 (rev 03)
00:00.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 318c (rev 03)
00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Device 3190 (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3185 (rev 03)
00:0c.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 31dc (rev 03)
00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 3198 (rev 03)
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 319a (rev 03)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 31e3 (rev 03)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 31d6 (rev f3)
00:14.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 31d7 (rev f3)
00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 31a8 (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 31e8 (rev 03)
00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 31d4 (rev 03)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

Not sure if that is enough information for someone to grasp my difficulty or too much information. I am a few years out of date on current ubuntu systems and so may be missing something that may be obvious to someone familiar with current details.Yes for some experimental purposes I do need multiple USB Wifi Adapters available by method such as plug n switch or enable & disable, and that may be an issue in the future but for now I can't even get 1 to install...?

Run lsusb
Then you will see all usb connected devices.
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0408:5220 Quanta Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:f179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

UPDATE:
Installed new updated system:Ubuntu 18.10
On reboot RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter was functional.
Did note multiple notices during install of 18.10 of Broken installation issues, wonder if it will be needed to start all over? Other wifis not installed.

ifconfig
eno1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 84:a9:3e:5a:e4:41 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 4065 bytes 1766082 (1.7 MB)
TX packets 4065 bytes 1766082 (1.7 MB)

wlo1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.4.33 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast 192.168.5.255
inet6 fe80::b0c9:c830:d2dc:fe90 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether 20:16:b9:a5:ae:a1 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 25162 bytes 34261366 (34.2 MB)
TX packets 8953 bytes 1597171 (1.5 MB)

wlx048d3957c27b: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 04:8d:39:57:c2:7b txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

Just found out that I need to use Tor Browser to access linux.org from wifi at McDonalds, grrr. Why do they try to block me from accessing the site for my operating system?

That looks like there are two wifi cards found.
One question: why do you need so many wifi modules?

That looks like there are two wifi cards found.
One question: why do you need so many wifi modules?

There seems to be only the onboard wifi and one adapter that are showing on the wifi network connections. Also I have a wireless mouse connected to usb.

As to why I need so many, that tends to be a confidential matter, without giving away any real details I can just say I am something of a garage creator and working on wifi is one of my interests. Hope someday we will all be able to connect without Internet providers and with much less power consumption.I am much better at working with math models and reality based electronics than I am with programing.

Last edited:
Still not able to add my drivers from disk. Only 1 that installed was the autoinstall with update. Could I be off in my commands?

Hey Klaatu ... so much traffic here lately you scrolled off my screen before I saw you - only by chance I started trawling the individual forums and spotted this Thread again. :D

If you are in Desktop/GNOME Ubuntu, your File Manager is Nautilus aka Files.

Open it and navigate to where the wifi drivers are stored on disk.

Use GNOME screenshot to take a picture of the active Window showing them, you may want to change the default timer from 0 (zero) to a figure say 10, and include the mouse pointer.

When you have saved the screenshot, either upload them as a file attachment, option is available in your Reply Pane, or else if you want us to see them easily. as full-size, read my Thread on Imgur and posting a screenshot.

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

Cheers

Wiz

Hey Klaatu ... so much traffic here lately you scrolled off my screen before I saw you - only by chance I started trawling the individual forums and spotted this Thread again. :D

If you are in Desktop/GNOME Ubuntu, your File Manager is Nautilus aka Files.

Open it and navigate to where the wifi drivers are stored on disk.

Use GNOME screenshot to take a picture of the active Window showing them, you may want to change the default timer from 0 (zero) to a figure say 10, and include the mouse pointer.

When you have saved the screenshot, either upload them as a file attachment, option is available in your Reply Pane, or else if you want us to see them easily. as full-size, read my Thread on Imgur and posting a screenshot.

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

Cheers

Wiz
Hello Wiz,
Searched for Nautilus, but was not found. Of course as noted in my above #2 comment; "Installed new updated system:Ubuntu 18.10" which when done discovered was not LTS - oops. Did mainly because of all the repository errors that I was getting, again wonder if I should start all over as the repository errors are growing with this new 18.10. Can't even get gimp help to install altho was able to download the help file. Keep getting update errors when I try to manually update things but also get updates when I don't ask for them, but apply in case magical thinking would work, right Wiz?
Wine works one time then not next.Alas. Here is a screenshot showing some errors and usb detected.
Screenshot low Calibre.png

Note that 1st realtek detected usb does not have version data and that one is not enabled wifi. I do have other usb wifi adapters but only 3 usb ports are available.Other port is mouse. Wonder if it is possible that repository issue was inherited from prior install or is that a common issue that may be disregarded ? Am willing to blank out the hard drive and start over if that is what it takes, also did want long term...Do want a stable system so can use as reference on experimental results. Can't believe how many issues I have had since getting this new laptop.

I do recall some of my laughable issues when I used Ubuntu vs Win before 5-8 yrs ago- as to commands etc and terminals vs cmnd. Like Cedar, (C:dir) altho dir still worked, and psuedo (sudo), mem tricks to remember commands but do wish for BIG RED BUTTON That knows what I want.

Thought I should perhaps clarify that I have been trying to find where wifidrivers are installed since day 1. Thought to install uninstall etc. But after searches that found the wifi drivers I wanted to install, I have them in 3 likely areas such as downloads etc, I still couldn't find where the system keeps wifi drivers that are installed. Did find that "playonlinux" helps where wine seems to be faltering, even on programs that have nothing to do with games. Sometimes you learn more with failures. Speaking of failures, the one usb wifi adapter that did install is now failing due to unknown cause. It still finds wifi signals but will not connect to anything even when the source is within 1 meter. Checked it out on my XP & Apple systems and it works so know it isn't the adapter .

Gonna have to start all over again I think. Maybe try another ubuntu system, problem is there are too many systems ,

and each has variations like mate, cinnamon etc. , need one that does not hide from modifications. Stablility and ease of access to programs and drivers are important...

Last edited:

Members online