Why some people hate Ubuntu?

vonin

Reaction score
Credits
I saw somethings that Ubuntu monetize each aspects of their distribution that they can and already shared data with Amazon in 2013, but what more have behind this?
Why I shouln't use Ubuntu if I care to secure and privacy at same time?

Because like all people, techies also like drama.

Ubuntu is a great distro. It's stable and up to date, embeds some non-free firmwares that make it work out of the box on many systems, has a big community... Canonical, the company behind it, actually pays people to work on free software, they also push computer manufacturers to deliver Ubuntu instead of windows.

The thing is its a commerical company that aims to make profit. Unlike redhat, which is focused on business with companies, ubuntu is focus on consumers. Companies are being seen as evil by the FOSS enthusiasts so if you make them pay for FOSS its OK, but consumers are seen differently.

Some people are selectively paranoid. Ubuntu did some controversial things but they stepped back. If you care about privacy and you are using Ubuntu, keep using Ubuntu and focus on something else. Don't waste your time with this drama, you won't improve your privacy by changing your distro.

personally i'm all for charging consumers to download/install a distro .Even Richard Stalman ( ex ...?) said FOSS as in free, but not as in free beer

they also push computer manufacturers to deliver Ubuntu instead of windows.
That I can vouch for as most of the computers that have Linux installed it is the Ubuntu distro that is installed.

It seems to be a Ford/Chevy thing. Some people just feel one is a lot better or worse than the other.
It isn't just Ubuntu. Some people hate Debian, or Redhat or Fedora. But they are all good distros.

As far as Ubuntu being pre-loaded. I've seen that on some laptops and workstations, but I always see Redhat loaded on servers.

I saw somethings that Ubuntu monetize each aspects of their distribution that they can and already shared data with Amazon in 2013, but what more have behind this?

I can only address why I do not like it. Ubuntu has a history of spying on their users:

I do not know if they still do so, but the very fact they once did, and never apologized nor admitted they were wrong, tells me they have learned nothing, and are likely to do the same again. For me, once trust has been violated, it is a done deal. There are far too many distros that have maintained a good reputation, to mess with one that is (or was) a dirty bird! If you want a simple distro with a good reputation, go for MX Linux or Linux Mint. If you want security and privacy, try out Kodachi Linux or TAILS.

Some of the notable controversial stuff that ¢anoni¢al did:
  • 32bit libraries and binaries were removed from Ubuntu.
  • The 'Amazon Shortcut' on a non-minimal installation.

Part of it is that Ubuntu helped popularized linux. Some people don't like that.

These days I think we all have to accept that all of our privacy’s are to a degree compromised. big co-operations realise that the real value is people’s data which in turn tells big companies the current mass global market trends and they can then accomadate accordingly to meet the demands. The price we pay for security is the loss of some of our privacy. I think we should be compensated for our private data been stored in the form of free internet. They get our data and we get free internet knowing that our data is stored somewhere and used for market research. perhaps that’s the future - free internet if u don’t mind your data stored or. you must pay hefty price for internet but with guaranteed privacy!!

Members online