Why lsblk is not working?

Badhon

Reaction score
Credits
In my previous machine with hdd, I was able to use lsblk and it was showing my hard drives fine. But in my new machine with ssd, while I try to install arch linux and use lsblk, it only shows me my usb drive not my ssd. Is there any solution to it?

i've got a dual boot of slackware and vanilla Arch on a HP laptop which has SSD.i'm on Arch at the moment and this is what i get:

Code:
cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational

//i got 0 so i have SSD, 1 would be HD

[andrew@darkstar:~]$ sudo lsblk                                                                                          (05-24 12:39)
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 58.2G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0  100M  0 part /boot
├─sda2   8:2    0  2.9G  0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3   8:3    0 32.8G  0 part
└─sda4   8:4    0 22.4G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   1 28.9G  0 disk
└─sdb1   8:17   1 28.9G  0 part
sdd      8:48   1 58.6G  0 disk
└─sdd1   8:49   1 58.6G  0 part /run/timeshift/backup
[andrew@darkstar:~]$

so for me lsblk is working for me on Arch - not sure why its not for you.

But can you copy and paste from a terminal the output of:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

Last edited:
well slightly half off topic, but let us all know how the Arch install goes . I first tried installing via archfi script (github) , but internet band width was a problem. The new iso , when booted from usb and when greeting is up you can type: "archinstall" for a guided install of vanilla arch - it failed !.

I tried EndeavourOS - since i was in Africa and it has "offline install" option, but i just prefer to install original OS not a distro version of it . Eventually back in "blightly" i got success using "Anarchy" installer.

That used to be a distro in its own right, but is now an installer for Vanilla Arch - worked a treat. I have read the Arch wiki install and it did help , for instance i found /etc/hosts file blank

In my previous machine with hdd, I was able to use lsblk and it was showing my hard drives fine. But in my new machine with ssd, while I try to install arch linux and use lsblk, it only shows me my usb drive not my ssd. Is there any solution to it?
Let's see if I'm getting this right:
1. You want to install Arch Linux in your new machine which apparently has W10 installed too, is that right?
2. You burnt Arch's .iso file to a USB stick, booted that up and from the command prompt ran
Code:
lsblk
is that correct?
3. You expected that lsblk showed all your drives and partitions, but it didn't, and you think it has something to do with your new machine using a SSD rather than an HDD, correct?

If the about is correct, is secure boot enabled or disabled? You can try connecting the SSD to a different SATA port too, and see if that makes any difference.

i also wondered if you can't get lsblk nor fdisk to work how were you going to partition the drive ?

This link suggests it may help to go into BIOS setup, find the setting for SATA Controller, and either disable it or change from RAID to AHCI.

i also wondered if you can't get lsblk nor fdisk to work how were you going to partition the drive ?

Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE and Redhat have hard drive setup tools in the installer.
You can format and parition the hard drive during the install.

fdisk works with any drive connected and powered.

lsblk only works with drives (more specifically partitions) that are either mounted
or Linux filesystems.

Members online