Why Librewolf is not mentioned?

I try to focus on the software and not on the politics and I hate the PC culture but
Amen to that.

I still prefer Firefox over all other browsers even though I use multiple browser I use Firefox and Brave the most.
I have other browsers on my Windows 10 desktop but yeah I like Firefox the best and Firefox is the only browser I've used with Linux.

Right now I use Brave probably 70% and Firefox 30%. Brave is simply better. It just is. Mozilla is just pissing me off. We really only have three browsers, and 90% of other "browsers" are derived from two of them; Firefox and Chromium. Three real web engines. There are others, but they have very small budgets, few resources and tiny teams. So we have, Gecko - Firefox and its derivatives, Blink - Chromimum and its derivative, and Webkit - Safari.

The above explains, quite succinctly, "Why Librewolf Is Not Mentioned."

If FF does finally die off, is it possible for these derivatives to make themselves completely independent of it?

The fact that as soon as firefox releases a newie.....all the copiers do just that. They copy code etc etc etc....put their own little tid bits in place to differentiate themselves sufficiently to call their product something different.....and so on and so on and so on.......the cycle is interminable.

The only browser etc that will actually be independent of all others will be the one that has sufficient $ to do that.
And with those $ will come the usual dramas....headed by greed.

Greed is the culprit.

There are god only knows how many "browser customers" in this world.....and they are all manipulable....it is just a question of finding which button to press find their "sweet" spot.

Am I saying the whole show is about money?

Yes, I am.

Undeniable fact.

If some number of people are waiting for some boofhead with bottomless pockets to come along and establish a browser that actually gives a damn/cares for the full on privacy etc etc etc of its users.........

Don't hold your breath.

The fact that as soon as firefox releases a newie.....all the copiers do just that. They copy code etc etc etc....put their own little tid bits in place to differentiate themselves sufficiently to call their product something different.....and so on and so on and so on.......the cycle is interminable.

The only browser etc that will actually be independent of all others will be the one that has sufficient $ to do that.

Greed is the culprit.

There are god only knows how many "browser customers" in this world.....and they are all manipulable....it is just a question of finding which button to press find their "sweet" spot.

Yes, I am.

Undeniable fact.

If some number of people are waiting for some boofhead with bottomless pockets to come along and establish a browser that actually gives a damn/cares for the full on privacy etc etc etc of its users.........

Don't hold your breath.

You're definitely not wrong about that, but I try to look at it from a neutral perspective. One thing to consider is the person who creates the show and the person who later runs it. As you know, many things that have become heavily corrupted over time were actually designed to help humanity, but those with ulterior motives made become corrupt.

If FF does finally die off, is it possible for these derivatives to make themselves completely independent of it?
I seriously doubt it. Who will have the budget to support it? It would require more than "a project" taking it over. You'd need a team of probably 20, minimum, to do it any justice. And finding that many people with the skill set and being able to afford them, is a tall order.

Greed is the culprit.

Yes, I am.

Undeniable fact.

Don't hold your breath.
Exactly. If we're being honest, it IS about money. If someone doesn't agree, show me an independent, low-to-no budget browser, and I'll show you a browser no one is using.

ungoogle chromium is in the linux mint repository but it fails to install so ya
You can thank Clem's view of Snaps for that. There's a workaround, but if you have to edit config files and such such to install something, it defeats the purpose.

it not a snap tho it flatpack
Ah, okay. Ungoogled Chromium must be different than standard Chromium. Because starting with Mint 20 you have to do a wonky workaround to get Chromium installed. Unless it just recently changed.

I run LM20.2

Chromium is in the Software Manager

It installs with a click, maybe 2

Carries a rating of 4.3 from 1169 reviews.

83.4 MB download. Fairly standard for a browser.

Prefers Yahoo as the search engine. I guess you can't win them all.

It must be doing something right.

I run LM20.2

Chromium is in the Software Manager

It installs with a click, maybe 2

Carries a rating of 4.3 from 1169 reviews.

83.4 MB download. Fairly standard for a browser.

Prefers Yahoo as the search engine. I guess you can't win them all.

It must be doing something right.

Maybe they recently fixed it. Haven't tried installing it in a while. But here's a thread that references the issue I experienced.

Yahoo uses Bing for results I believe. DuckDuckGo mostly uses Bing afaik but strips out the bs. Brave's home brewed search looks interesting but definitely needs more work!

Members online

Latest posts