Why is there so much flaming between the Linux and BSD communities? :<

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
I am part of a number of Linux and BSD groups... :3 I use any OS I wanna', and that of course includes *BSD and Linux. :) So I just don't understand this fanboyism that goes on.... And that's including the arguments for and against GPL v. BSD Licenses. :< Having a preference is fine, but as someone who loves MANY Operating Systems, I just don't see the point in trolling and fighting, aside from lighthearted joking. :( Thanks for any input guys, and may the *nix/*nux be with you. :3 Oh, and Happy New Year! :3 Only 18 years left until the 2038 Apocalypse!! :3

Well, there's usually none of that around here!
Yes, we're primarily a GNU/Linux community, but we have our share of BSD users too. Or at least we used to?!
There might be some light hearted joking going on at times, mostly at M$ or crApple, rather than those BSD devils! Ha ha!

But we don't generally end up with flame wars here, or bully people out of the community.

The arguments (in other forums/communities) around the licensing related stuff about BSD vs GPL are mainly to do with the fact that some companies and individuals involved in Free/Libre/Open-Source Software think that the GPL is too extreme in its insistence that developers always share modified source code with the community.

Whereas the BSD licenses are more permissive. From what I remember - as long as the BSD license remains intact and the original authors are credited - you can do what you like with your modified version and do not necessarily have to share those modifications with the wider community. You are encouraged to, but you are under no obligation to do so. So - in that way BSD licensed software components can be used for any purpose - even in proprietary software systems.

Whereas with GPL - any software that uses GPL components MUST provide source-code.
And proprietary software companies generally don't like having to release ALL of their source code for their products.

The only exceptions to this are things licensed under the LGPL. Which has slightly different rules and can be used by proprietary software, but under certain conditions.
And I think there are other ways that non-free software can utilize GPL components without having to provide the source code for their entire program - it might be something to do with the way that their program is linked with the GPLed libraries, or something. IDK?! I can't remember offhand.

But basically - the free-software/GPL purists think that the BSD licence is inferior because it does not ensure that the code will always be given back to the community. And some of the open source and/or BSD people think that the GPL is inferior because it is too extreme.

And that's just a very high-level, oversimplification of the issue. I'm sure if Richard Stallman were here - he'd probably interject and explain everything in great detail, correcting any inaccuracies, or ambiguities in my post!

But differences aside - for most of us - the BSD and GPL licences are basically compatible and will still fit our day to day needs. We can still modify, build, install and use our favourite software!

Going dangerously off-topic:
18 years until the apocalypse? You mean the Unix time bug thing? I think it's optimistic to think we'll last that long, since Trumps recent assassination of that Iranian General!

I mean seriously?! What is this world coming to?
It's end, I suppose?! Ha ha!

Australia is literally on fire, France is on strike. And thanks to Brexit - "Great Britain" is just about to become "Bojo the Clowns Banana Boat Republic of Little Britain". To top things off - now that Trumpty Dumpty has his wall, he's intent on starting WW3 in the middle east. Which incidentally, has absolutely NOTHING to do with Irans recent discovery of an oilfield containing a reserve of an estimated 53 Billion barrels of oil under the ground, or the upcoming US election, or his impending impeachment! But what would I know?! I'm just a concerned citizen of mother earth, trying to live in peace with my family, without being burnt alive in nuclear flames. Just like 99% of the rest of sentient life on this planet!

Apologies if any of that was a bit dark BTW! I am only joking!
Well....Using dark humour to discuss potentially serious current events that may adversely affect the lives of a lot of people!

Happy new year! :)

Last edited:
Some forums just aren't friendly based on my forum experience just way to uptight.

Certain forums have certain members and certain moderators who take things way to serious.

Hell I get into disagreements with Windows 7 users about using Windows 7 online after Windows 7 reaches EOL January 14 2020 there's a smart idea.

The same thing went on with Windows XP EOL however didn't happen with Windows Vista EOL because most user hated Windows Vista and happy to see its EOL.

Certain Debian forums I've been on have had some rude unhelpful forum members which I promptly told to F.O. and that got me banned. o_O:oops::eek::p:D

I find it best to consider the source however I never follow my own advice. :rolleyes::p:D

Take it with a grain of salt and learn to read between the lines and all will be well. :cool:

My 2 cents. :p

Some forums just aren't friendly based on my forum experience just way to uptight.

Certain forums have certain members and certain moderators who take things way to serious.

Hell I get into disagreements with Windows 7 users about using Windows 7 online after Windows 7 reaches EOL January 14 2020 there's a smart idea.

The same thing went on with Windows XP EOL however didn't happen with Windows Vista EOL because most user hated Windows Vista and happy to see its EOL.

Certain Debian forums I've been on have had some rude unhelpful forum members which I promptly told to F.O. and that got me banned. o_O:oops::eek::p:D

I find it best to consider the source however I never follow my own advice. :rolleyes::p:D

Take it with a grain of salt and learn to read between the lines and all will be well. :cool:

My 2 cents. :p
Hey, you're right. :) They may be 2 cents, but they're made of GOLD. :D Actually, Copper is also really valuable..... :3 Well put, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who will occasionally tell mean people to fsck off. :3 Man, I abuse fsck... But the freebsd.org Forums are really cool! :) Like here, they're really nice. :3 I like Windows 7, but you're right, it is EOL this year. Nonetheless, it sure had awesome themes..... But I bet I could get similar themes set up on XFCE or Plasma 5! :3

Yes, we're primarily a GNU/Linux community, but we have our share of BSD users too. Or at least we used to?!
There might be some light hearted joking going on at times, mostly at M$ or crApple, rather than those BSD devils! Ha ha!

But we don't generally end up with flame wars here, or bully people out of the community.

The arguments (in other forums/communities) around the licensing related stuff about BSD vs GPL are mainly to do with the fact that some companies and individuals involved in Free/Libre/Open-Source Software think that the GPL is too extreme in its insistence that developers always share modified source code with the community.

Whereas the BSD licenses are more permissive. From what I remember - as long as the BSD license remains intact and the original authors are credited - you can do what you like with your modified version and do not necessarily have to share those modifications with the wider community. You are encouraged to, but you are under no obligation to do so. So - in that way BSD licensed software components can be used for any purpose - even in proprietary software systems.

Whereas with GPL - any software that uses GPL components MUST provide source-code.
And proprietary software companies generally don't like having to release ALL of their source code for their products.

The only exceptions to this are things licensed under the LGPL. Which has slightly different rules and can be used by proprietary software, but under certain conditions.
And I think there are other ways that non-free software can utilize GPL components without having to provide the source code for their entire program - it might be something to do with the way that their program is linked with the GPLed libraries, or something. IDK?! I can't remember offhand.

But basically - the free-software/GPL purists think that the BSD licence is inferior because it does not ensure that the code will always be given back to the community. And some of the open source and/or BSD people think that the GPL is inferior because it is too extreme.

And that's just a very high-level, oversimplification of the issue. I'm sure if Richard Stallman were here - he'd probably interject and explain everything in great detail, correcting any inaccuracies, or ambiguities in my post!

But differences aside - for most of us - the BSD and GPL licences are basically compatible and will still fit our day to day needs. We can still modify, build, install and use our favourite software!

18 years until the apocalypse? You mean the Unix time bug thing? I think it's optimistic to think we'll last that long, since Trumps recent assassination of that Iranian General!

Australia is literally on fire, France is on strike. And thanks to Brexit - "Great Britain" is just about to become "Bojo the Clowns Banana Boat Republic of Little Britain". To top things off - now that Trumpty Dumpty has his wall, he's intent on starting WW3 in the middle east. Which incidentally, has absolutely NOTHING to do with Irans recent discovery of an oilfield containing a reserve of an estimated 53 Billion barrels of oil under the ground, or the upcoming US election, or his impending impeachment! But what would I know?! I'm just a concerned citizen of mother earth, trying to live in peace with my family, without being burnt alive in nuclear flames. Just like 99% of the rest of sentient life on this planet!

Well....Using dark humour to discuss potentially serious current events that may adversely affect the lives of a lot of people!

Hehe.... I like some of what Trump is doing, but those were some funny jokes! :D But sometimes, I think Politics are just a scam.... At least most of the time. :) Trumpty Dumpty.... Oh God. XD I only hope I can laugh at myself if someone makes fun of me like that one day. This is an important skill! :3 BTW, I'm seeing a Therapist who knows a lot about Autism, and she made some diagnoses' about Trump, or, as much as she could. She's nice. :) I told her about her Mac with macOS, and how it's Unix, and said she should look into the Terminal App, which has Bash. :) But I think we'll be fine.... After all, if that one Russian sub commander (I think he was the commander) stopped his men from launching a nuke during the Cold War, I have more faith in humanity than that. :3 Hey, want some self-deprecating humor, directed at me? :3 What's something that came around near 1991, slows things down, and is disabled? Not Windows. ME!! :D Hehe, you're funny Jas..... :3

You're also spot-on about the whole licensing issue, even IF Richard isn't here to interject for a moment... :3 I'm thinking of using a BSD-style license sometimes. :3 Oh, BTW, do you like Sushi? :3 Mom got me a bunch of California Rolls earlier today!! :D

Members online