Why do you use Linux and/or other FOSS OS's.....?

B

blackneos940

I ask this because I'm only curious..... :) Is it out of general disdain for MS and.or other Proprietary OS's, or is it more lifestyle and Philosophically-based.....? :) OR..... Is it some combination of the ABOVE.....?? :) As for me.....? I use it BECAUSE it's Free, as in Freedom..... :D Even hearing Windows 10 could be free as in Free Beer, for PERSONAL use, I wouldn't likely use it much (unless of course this THIRD Chromebook Charger breaks..... :mad:) At that point, I'll just look into that Micro parts store thingy..... :3 But would someone ever charge money for a download of Archlinux, or Ubuntu, or openSUSE.....? I wonder..... Thoughts.....? :)

Because it's my computer, and I like being able to decide what it can and can not do, rather than some third party. Essentially, I subscribe, for the most part, to Stallman's philosophy of Free Computing. I'm not quite so consistent has him, however.

Because it's my computer, and I like being able to decide what it can and can not do, rather than some third party. Essentially, I subscribe, for the most part, to Stallman's philosophy of Free Computing. I'm not quite so consistent has him, however.

Ah, a simple yet thoughtful answer!..... :) I can't believe it didn't occur to me!..... :D

I like free. And freedom. And free beer. Especially free beer! :D

I also like that Linux is more secure and resists viruses and malware better.

I also like trying out new operating systems, including new versions of Windows as well as many versions of Linux. But Windows is bloated beyond need or purpose. I like that I can carry around my whole full-blown Linux operating system, with extra apps installed, on a small USB flash drive of only 4 GB (even much less with some distros).

Oh, and someone does charge money to download Linux. Redhat has mastered that angle, charging a "support subscription" that allows you to download their enterprise edition. This business model has worked great for them! But Fedora and CentOS are good enough for most of us to use or play with for free if you like that flavor. You can download the Redhat source code though... and build your own copy of it, if you wanted to.

Linux = options. Lots of options!

My computer just feels more personalized.

Free from Windows viruses.

No licensing crap.

When your system is opened, it's easy to learn it and computing at all. Also the Community can broaden your horizones pretty much, you can meet new people, find new opinions, easily join projects and even make big profit.
If something doesn't fit you, just change it.

Also, the community and hardware support just beat BSD from my experience.

Got sick tearing my hair out everytime windows 98SE/ME crashed with a BSOD.

As others have said the freedom of licensing and being able to have a stable system.

I really love the convenient setup of Package Managers and Software Repos well established in Linux or even FreeBSD.

I want to resize a picture? Just grab GIMP or Shotwell or other quick image resizing programs. I don't have to Google for it on some website.

Wow, I like the responses so far.....! :3 Rest assured, I read them all....... :D It's pretty difficult to respond to EVERYBODY, though, given my attention span..... :)

I like free. And freedom. And free beer. Especially free beer! :D

I also like that Linux is more secure and resists viruses and malware better.

I also like trying out new operating systems, including new versions of Windows as well as many versions of Linux. But Windows is bloated beyond need or purpose. I like that I can carry around my whole full-blown Linux operating system, with extra apps installed, on a small USB flash drive of only 4 GB (even much less with some distros).

Oh, and someone does charge money to download Linux. Redhat has mastered that angle, charging a "support subscription" that allows you to download their enterprise edition. This business model has worked great for them! But Fedora and CentOS are good enough for most of us to use or play with for free if you like that flavor. You can download the Redhat source code though... and build your own copy of it, if you wanted to.

Linux = options. Lots of options!

Yes, Freedom and Security are what it's all about, my friend..... :3 Yeah, I now usually cite RedHat when people ask about Linux and profit..... :D (I even tell mySELF that if I start to have doubts..... :D) But, good sir, how do you, praytell, make an .ISO image with all your Programs already INSTALLED.....? I tryed, but I don't know how..... :( Or do you mean a FULL install on a USB.....? :D If so, I'd not do that on anything less than a high-grade USB, as the cheaper ones, like PNY, are GOOD for LIVE environments, and for general File storage, but when I put Mint onto one of those PNY USBs, it didn't last very long..... :D

Yeah, SD Cards are usually safer for full installs, as far as I'm concerned..... :D

Yes, Freedom and Security are what it's all about, my friend..... :3 Yeah, I now usually cite RedHat when people ask about Linux and profit..... :D (I even tell mySELF that if I start to have doubts..... :D) But, good sir, how do you, praytell, make an .ISO image with all your Programs already INSTALLED.....? I tryed, but I don't know how..... :( Or do you mean a FULL install on a USB.....? :D If so, I'd not do that on anything less than a high-grade USB, as the cheaper ones, like PNY, are GOOD for LIVE environments, and for general File storage, but when I put Mint onto one of those PNY USBs, it didn't last very long..... :D

When you install an ISO to a flash drive, some of the distros (Debian/*buntu mostly, I think) allow an option called "persistence." This allows the flash drive to save information, like bookmarks, or passwords, etc. It also allows you to install programs.

I haven't set this up recently, and the last time I remember there was a limit of 4 GB for a persistence space, so super large flash drives aren't really necessary unless that limit has increased. But 4 GB will still hold a lot of extra apps that don't normally come with the distro. So for example, your distro might include LibreOffice, but the persistence space lets you save all the documents your create with it. It's very handy!

Also, you might be interested in this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MakeALiveCD/DVD/BootableFlashFromHarddiskInstall

Its free open source and it can be used by all community.
Mainly none of the operating systems are virus free and till now open source operating systems experts has found only 85 to 100 virus which is far better than windows viruses. :p:cool:

When you install an ISO to a flash drive, some of the distros (Debian/*buntu mostly, I think) allow an option called "persistence." This allows the flash drive to save information, like bookmarks, or passwords, etc. It also allows you to install programs.

I haven't set this up recently, and the last time I remember there was a limit of 4 GB for a persistence space, so super large flash drives aren't really necessary unless that limit has increased. But 4 GB will still hold a lot of extra apps that don't normally come with the distro. So for example, your distro might include LibreOffice, but the persistence space lets you save all the documents your create with it. It's very handy!

Also, you might be interested in this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MakeALiveCD/DVD/BootableFlashFromHarddiskInstall

Ah, I SEE..... :) I remember that persistence thing..... Does it wear out a USB, though.......? :( Also, I'll check out that Link!..... ;D (See what I did there.....? ;))

Its free open source and it can be used by all community.
Mainly none of the operating systems are virus free and till now open source operating systems experts has found only 85 to 100 virus which is far better than windows viruses. :p:cool:

Yep!..... :3 Also, it's true that it's not INVINCIBLE, but I have YET to see a Virus..... :D Now, if I put my Password on PASTEBIN, and turn my Laptop into a SERVER, then, and ONLY then, am I at risk..... (At least, one would THINK.....) :)

Ran ClamAV a while ago and it said I'm clear of viruses.

Members online