Why do you use a specific Linux Distro as a Daily Driver !

I think the word "corporate" is a matter of symantics in the context of what OP asked. Ubuntu Desktop is managed and maintained by a Canonical, a corporate entity, but is not the primary focus. Canonical's primary focus appears to be their server sector, which is certainly financially driven.

Fedora can be seen separately from Redhat, in that while Redhat funds Fedora, the community maintains and supports Fedora as a separate project. There is a symbiotic partnership.

In the last couple years, I've tended to move away from Canonical. I'm not disappointed by their products, but I think financial goals should not determine innovation regarding GNU/Linux. This was a primary reason I moved from mainline Linux Mint to LMDE. I would feel the same about Fedora if I found out it was the same.

I was been sarcastic
Ahhh ...

When you download the "all in one" (everything on the DVD/iso image) distro. Isn't it just as big?
Well, yeah, it is. But, for example, I would download it overnight, instead of having to be in front of the PC, so the next day it is there.

the DVD would have a number of packages some people don't use.

Hmmm ... well, I've used the one from OpenSuse, and you can choose what to install, and that's because YAST is by far the best installer/tool I've seen out there. Don't know about others.

I suppose if I had a really slow internet connection, I would be a lot less inclined to go with a rolling release
(that updates itself frequently).
I don't really have a problem with that. I currently use KDE Neon Testing, which gets updated every single day, since it uses plasma's git branch, but it's not that much, I mean, maybe a couple of hundreds MiB or more from time to time when apart from plasma's specific updates, Ubuntu's ones arrive too, otherwise is less than 100 MiB.

Last edited:

Why do you use a specific Linux Distro as a Daily Driver !​

It's because I like it.
m19115.gif

Staff online

Members online