Why Did I Wait so Long?

D

Don M.

I'm a 61 year old male that has been using Windows ever since 3.1. I've had issues with Windows over the years, but Windows 10 was the straw that broke the camels back. I didn't like to be pressured to use it. I finally gave in, and I have to admit that it's a good OS, and that I didn't have any problems migrating to it. Here are all of the reasons that caused me to look elsewhere:

1) Microsoft's heavy handed tactics
2) Microsoft's spyware/malware
3) Microsoft's EULA policies
4) Cost
5) Limited customization
6) Bill Gate's politics

I started doing research last fall and first checked out Mint Cinnamon 17.3 in April of this year. Then I moved to Ubuntu mate 16.04 about a month ago. I liked both of these distros a lot, but they weren't perfect for me. Then I tried Mint Cinnamon 18 Beta about a week ago. Ah, this was the one for me! I was very impressed at how polished it was out of the box in Beta. It had the microcode for my Intel Broadwell CPU (I7-5775c) which is not widely used. My wi-fi hookup was made immediately and my wireless network printer hookup was a breeze. My other printer (Konica Monolta Magicolor 4750en) is actually a business class printer that I have been unable to find Linux drivers for. No problem with Mint 18! Setup readily installed those drivers.

Mint Cinnamon 18 has a beautiful appearance and is highly customizable. I found no instabilities or bugs during my 1 week test period of the Beta. I installed the "stable" final version early this morning. I chose to do a clean install. Everything went flawlessly.

My next task is to learn how to use Wine so that I can use an old Windows XP app that I haven't been able to use for the last 5 years.

My old hobby was hardware focused, and I built computers from scratch for myself, friends, and family. Now I think that I'm going to explore the Linux world. We'll see..... perhaps move from Wine to Terminal to learning programming language. Can it be done at this old age?

Can you tell that I am absolutely thrilled with discovering Linux Mint 18?

Welcome aboard! I hope you'll have fun and continue to enjoy the journey.

Wine will run many old Windows apps, but not all. Another program called DOSBox may also help. DOSBox is available for Linux and Windows, and it allowed me to run a very old 16-bit program that Windows Vista and 7 just laughed at. You will probably still have some troubles along the way... we all do. But there is usually someone around who has already solved the problem.

Google is your new best friend! :D

Cheers!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, I just found out that Wine works for one of my old apps, but it failed to work for another. When I clicked on "install" it didn't budge. Still, its better than nothing as both of them didn't run with the last several versions of Windows. Of course I could try the most recent version of Wine, although it is not yet rated as "stable".

arochester- thanks for the info. I appreciate it!!!

The first app is Microsoft Office 2010. I have reasons to want to use it at times. Supposedly it does work with Wine, but I wasn't able to install it.

The second app is called "Bibleworks 6". It is a highly sophisticated program that does a lot of different things with Koine Greek and Hebrew. It is a sophisticated program, uses Greek and Hebrew fonts, and does a lot of grammatical things. Surprisingly it installed and runs well!!! Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise to me.

Thanks for asking.
Don

arochester- thanks!!! I will be using that info after I get back from a long weekend.

Members online

No members online now.