Why did I abandon Windows for good?

Unfortunately there's no one in my family who'd understand the value of my abandoning Crapindows, so putting a sticky note on the refrigerator would be pointless. My family are so tech "savvy" that their knowledge of computers comes down to "press this big button, click the orange icon (Firefox) and enter the internet". :D

Apart from the reasons I listed in the first post, there's something else that makes me enjoy linux a lot more than I ever did Windows: there's always something new to learn and I like learning new things. I never had that joy with Windows, there was never anything new to learn, it was always the same.
Exactly, windows is a boring click-click desktop environment, no different from a smart phone which is what im using to post this lmfao. Linux devs are also worried about you messing up your data but at least you can do so on your own terms, windows would rather you download malware and pay some computer store to re-format.

pay some computer store to re-format.
Shusssh dont tell anyone, I still have the last edition of XP + sp3, the last releases of W7,W8 &W10 on DVD, not for personal use but when I get lumbered to fix friends/family Microcrap installations, One day i might succeed in getting them to come over to the light side [but not holding my breath]
oh I still have my 15 disc set of MS-dos and W3.2, not that anyone has a drive for them these days

My family are so tech "savvy" that their knowledge of computers comes down to "press this big button, click the orange icon (Firefox) and enter the internet". :D

That's the problem with Windows users and normies in general. They don't care about their own digital rights or how the technology works from a basic technical perspective. Instead, they just want to use the technology because all they care about is convenience, and have been force-fed Microshit's BS for the last 30 years.

not for personal use but when I get lumbered to fix friends/family Microcrap installations
I used to do that but not for a long time. Nowadays I forcibly install them Linux without their knowledge. And since the Microcrap's sheep are so accustomed to have their hands forced by the slave master, they don't complain and more importantly - due to their low tech savvyness, they rarely, if never, notice the difference that they're not using Crapindows anymore. It's most funny when I manage to turn the distro's interface into a 1:1 copy of the Crapindows 10 interface and they say things like "wow, this new Windows 10 is so fast!" not knowing that they're not slaves anymore. :D

I used to do that but not for a long time. Nowadays I forcibly install them Linux without their knowledge. And since the Microcrap's sheep are so accustomed to have their hands forced by the slave master, they don't complain and more importantly - due to their low tech savvyness, they rarely, if never, notice the difference that they're not using Crapindows anymore. It's most funny when I manage to turn the distro's interface into a 1:1 copy of the Crapindows 10 interface and they say things like "wow, this new Windows 10 is so fast!" not knowing that they're not slaves anymore. :D
I'm calling bullshit on what you posted I don't believe people are that stupid.

In my country they are, especially if they're older than 40 years of age and it's about computers. Those of us born in the 1980's and later are computer savvy but those born before the 80's are tough job to teach them even simple things like how to put the computer to sleep and what's the difference between sleep and shut down. My sister is medicine savvy, born 1972 but when it comes to computers, she still doesn't know the difference between floppy and DVD-ROM and I got tired of explaining the same thing over and over again.

In my country they are, especially if they're older than 40 years of age and it's about computers. Those of us born in the 1980's and later are computer savvy but those born before the 80's are tough job to teach them even simple things like how to put the computer to sleep and what's the difference between sleep and shut down. My sister is medicine savvy, born 1972 but when it comes to computers, she still doesn't know the difference between floppy and DVD-ROM and I got tired of explaining the same thing over and over again.
Okay fair enough and I'll grant you a lot of Windows users don't know much if anything about their computers.

Hell I'm in my 70s and am quite savvy about computers so perhaps since I'm savvy I figure so are others guess I taking to much for granted.

My apologies if any offense was taken with my statement in post #67 as not my intention.

Cheers.

Okay fair enough and I'll grant you a lot of Windows users don't know much if anything about their computers.

Hell I'm in my 70s and am quite savvy about computers so perhaps since I'm savvy I figure so are others guess I taking to much for granted.

My apologies if any offense was taken with my statement in post #67 as not my intention.

Cheers.
You're 70 but you forget one important political factor. Whatever country you're from, it wasn't under Russian slavery (communism) for 55 years - from 1944 until 1989. During that time period ALL western technology, even western music and cars, was forbidden and any attempt to get yourself with one was severely punished by the government. I was told some people were even sent to concentration camps for trying to illegally import records with western music and considering what the commies did to my country in the first years of their oppression, I can't say I'm surprised. Those born in that period of time were and still are afraid of the western technology bc many of them haven't noticed yet that the communism is over. If you try to teach them how to even turn the computer ON, they react as if you're threatening their life. My mother and her cousin were born shortly after 1944. I somehow managed to teach my mom basic computer stuff but her cousin is a hopeless case. I suppose if I had been growing in fear for 40 or more years, I'd be the same as her, refusing to learn anything new, so that I don't get sent to a concentration camp.
Those of us born in the 80's grew up in the final years of the communism when the first arcade games appeared, thus we had some background of gaming technology. We also had consoles like Nintendo which came to our country almost immediately after the borders were open when the communism ended in 1989, western technology and music literally flooded us and a few years later the first computers were imported in the country, thus we heard about things like MS-DOS and (later) Windows 95. Since we already had the experience of arcade and console games + our brains weren't burdened with fear from the communist tyranny, we literally absorbed the new computers and quickly learned how to use them. Since there's no communism anymore, nowadays kids are almost literally born with either a keyboard or a smartphone in the hand and by the time they reach 1st grade age, they know more about computers and phones than their parents.

I still use a windows 10 PC , I also have a mac pro. I turned 2 older laptops from windows 7 to Linux manjaro and the other had Cutefish OS for a wile and the one I am using here is Mint.

I would never pay 145 euros for something I do not own in the end. You can never be scammed if you never paid anything! :p
If that's the price of a Crapindows key in Europe, then you're the lucky ones. My country is in the EU too but here a legal Crapindows key costs almost 300 euro. Therefore almost nobody in the country has ever paid for it, even the government administration and politicians are running on pirated Crapindows. :D

Why did i abandon Windows for good?
in a nut shell "microsoft sucks!"

Members online

Latest posts