Why did I abandon Windows for good?

KGIII said:
psYcheau said:
The GUI may be made by Apple and proprietary but it's still all on Linux / OpenBSD FreeBSD
I know, I am a pedantic probably :D

Reference: https://web.archive.org/web/2004111...per.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/faq.html

Q. Where does Darwin fit into the BSD family?

A. The purpose of Darwin is to provide the core system software for Mac OS X. It is not designed to be an alternative to other excellent BSD options such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. Darwin is simply BSD tweaked in ways we think will help Apple deliver the next great version of the Mac OS. We should note, however, that apart from a few architectural differences (such as our use of the Mach kernel), we try to keep Darwin as compatible as possible with FreeBSD (our BSD reference platform).

Reference: https://web.archive.org/web/2004111...per.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/faq.html

A. The purpose of Darwin is to provide the core system software for Mac OS X. It is not designed to be an alternative to other excellent BSD options such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. Darwin is simply BSD tweaked in ways we think will help Apple deliver the next great version of the Mac OS. We should note, however, that apart from a few architectural differences (such as our use of the Mach kernel), we try to keep Darwin as compatible as possible with FreeBSD (our BSD reference platform).

I've had a MacBook for about five years now. I haven't done a whole lot of digging into the command line (I really don't like the native shell), nor have I done a lot of shell scripting on it, but from peaking under the hood, to me it's more BSD than anything else I've ever used. I have used FreeBSD on a few firewall pojects way back when.

The only reason I even bought a Mac was 1: to avoid bying a Windowz laptop and 2>&1 I bought into the schtik "It just works." 3>&2. It did come with LogicPro (A pretty good audio mixer) which I hook to my AXE-FX to play along with downloaded guitar tracks from that thar inter-web to jam along with. :cool:

Yeah, I should have just said "BSD" when editing out the Linux in there. There's no Linux in Apple was the point.

Apple is like Linux, but has lots of DRM fu*kery and way too much security, it's a complete nightmare for creative people unless you use it exactly the way the developers want you to. My main reason for switching to Linux was just wanting to know how things work: you won't get too far with that on windows and Apple, but I think making a virus would be a good approach. One of the first things I figured out how to do was destroy the OS in Ubuntu, I think it was "chmod 777 /*" or something like that, all I know is I screwed something up! If someone could clarify how to remove the permissions for every file, because that's what I was trying to do, and I know it worked because I destroyed ubuntu.

I left Windows full-time when service packs 2 + 3 for Windows XP brought my low-spec, home built PC to a grinding halt.
SP2 caused a noticeable degradation in performance. And SP3 compounded it by several orders of magnitude, making it virtually unusable!

So I installed Fedora and everything just worked. My PC ran like it did when it was brand new. But then I had loads of problems when trying to install/uninstall software. Problems with seemingly unresolvable dependency conflicts. Which really frustrated me.

So I switched to Debian for a while because Debian had better dependency resolution capabilities. Then switched to Ubuntu for several years, then went distro hopping for a couple of years around the time of Canonical’s premature switch to Gnome3 and the utter abortion that came after it - Unity, ugh! So I tried loads of different distros.

And then I finally settled on Debian, where I’ve been ever since - but installed via the minimal net install, so I could avoid installing Gnome3, which still sucks!

Here's a site that may help explain the commonalities and differences between Linux and FreeBSD.
Here's the jist of it.

Is FreeBSD Linux or Unix?​

FreeBSD is a free and open-source Unix-like operating system descended from the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD), which was based on Research Unix.

How is BSD different from Linux?​

The biggest difference between Linux and BSD is that Linux is a kernel, whereas BSD is an operating system (also includes the kernel) which has been derived from the Unix operating system. The Linux kernel is used to create a Linux Distribution after stacking other components.

Is FreeBSD a Linux distribution?​

Both FreeBSD and Linux-based distributions are Unix-like in nature. FreeBSD has close roots to Unix systems of the past, while Linux was created from scratch as an open Unix-like alternative.

That said, Apple is more like Unix then Linux.

It's probably intended for remote helping the ultimate noobs. I think MS employees have many better things to do than wasting time to poke inside a random user's computer.

You do realise that you don't own windwoes...you pay a fee to lease it and because of that...microsuck employees can do what ever they like and that includes deleting software too.
t1929.gif

microsuck can for any reason can cancel your lease at anytime for any reason...in other words...Do as we say or else.
t1939.gif

Installing windwoes you agree to all the terms and conditions...it's all in the EULA so people can't complain and that's another reason to run as fast as you can to Linux and Freedom. :)

Here's a site that may help explain the commonalities and differences between Linux and FreeBSD.
Here's the jist of it.

Is FreeBSD Linux or Unix?​

FreeBSD is a free and open-source Unix-like operating system descended from the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD), which was based on Research Unix.

How is BSD different from Linux?​

The biggest difference between Linux and BSD is that Linux is a kernel, whereas BSD is an operating system (also includes the kernel) which has been derived from the Unix operating system. The Linux kernel is used to create a Linux Distribution after stacking other components.

Is FreeBSD a Linux distribution?​

Both FreeBSD and Linux-based distributions are Unix-like in nature. FreeBSD has close roots to Unix systems of the past, while Linux was created from scratch as an open Unix-like alternative.

That said, Apple is more like Unix then Linux.
So in other words, linux is just a variation of FreeBSD/Unix created by Linus Torvalds?

Yes and no. It is based on Minix at a feature level (they don't neccessarily share code and their fundamental structure is different), but it started as a 100% homegrown development that aimed for Unix compatibility, meaning compatibility with other Unix tools that would run on top: bash,...

Can't find original announcement, but there's a quote here: https://www.learnlinux.ie/content/linus-torvalds-original-announcement-usenet

Last edited:
Bordering on off-topic...

There are some fundamental differences with regards to Minux - such as the monolithic kernel.

There's some interesting reading from Tanenbaum regarding the problems with a monolithic kernel vs. a microkernel, but it seems a bit more academic than this thread really needs and folks probably won't find it all that important/interesting. (If you do, I'm sure you can Google your way to an answer. I find it interesting, but I'm a bit of a freak.)

MacOS can be run similarly to linux, command line and all. The defaults can mostly be adjusted, so things like the default zsh can be replaced by bash. The Homebrew repos cover much the same territory as linux ones and the sources are the same though compiled for different systems. But MacOS is not fully available to the user as a linux system is. There are parts of the operating system the user doesn't have access to. It's that specific sort of "freedom" that makes the major difference, which can be regarded as a philosophical matter.

You do realise that you don't own windwoes...you pay a fee to lease it and because of that...microsuck employees can do what ever they like and that includes deleting software too.
t1929.gif

microsuck can for any reason can cancel your lease at anytime for any reason...in other words...Do as we say or else.
t1939.gif

Installing windwoes you agree to all the terms and conditions...it's all in the EULA so people can't complain and that's another reason to run as fast as you can to Linux and Freedom. :)
I always keep a backup of the OS I use, so they're welcome to delete anything they want, I'll restore it in under 2 minutes. :D

But since I abandoned Crapindows, I no longer need a backup. If some day they decide to go back to the old days of Windows 7, I'll have a backup again.

I always keep a backup of the OS I use, so they're welcome to delete anything they want, I'll restore it in under 2 minutes. :D

But since I abandoned Crapindows, I no longer need a backup. If some day they decide to go back to the old days of Windows 7, I'll have a backup again.

Funny you should mention that because I have an image of my windwoes 7 500GB HDD and have the HDD in the draw...was going to delete it but forgot. About two years ago one of my portable HDDs wouldn't mount in Linux Mint...I didn't want to re-format and loose everything on it.
m1502.gif

So I thought could I fix it with my windwoes HDD being NTFS...so I plugged it in and it mounted...took everything off the Drive and re-formatted it back to NTFS...put everything back on and plugged it in to Mint and it worked and still does...lucky me.
m1203.gif

Screenshot_20220811-031131~2.png

I’ve been running Linux Mint Cinnamon for 7 years and loving it...although I have a win 7 VM...I use it rarely. Yesterday in a store I saw windwoes spyware 11 on a Laptop and gave it a try...stupid me.
p0804.gif

I couldn’t believe how far it’s deteriorated into a jumbled mess...what a joke. I didn’t know where to start...everything is all over the place and windwoes users say Linux is too hard.
m0103.gif
m01100.gif

Must say I kind of miss .."You have performed an illegal operation". I must be a smuggler or perform back street illegal operations on people.

I’ve been running Linux Mint Cinnamon for 7 years and loving it...although I have a win 7 VM...I use it rarely. Yesterday in a store I saw windwoes spyware 11 on a Laptop and gave it a try...stupid me.
p0804.gif

I couldn’t believe how far it’s deteriorated into a jumbled mess...what a joke. I didn’t know where to start...everything is all over the place and windwoes users say Linux is too hard.
m0103.gif
m01100.gif
Well it's all fine and good if you can find a browser...or an internet connection...but better yet, just say no to the windom!

Bartman wrote:
I've never experienced a BSOD with Window 10 OS and my Windows 10 desktops work good.
I guess that's one major reason that MS will continue its prevalence and not be abandoned so easily.

Members online