why arent more devs using appimage?

boyo1991

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know why most devs still arent really developing for .appimage executables? Chrome is compiled for .rpm and .deb... and that seems to be the norm (although most seem to just develop for .deb). Does anyone know why they do this when we have appimage?

That's a good question! I'm not a developer, so I can't really answer for them, but appimage seems to be a great way to package software. Perhaps it is just human nature.... people are slow to change. And perhaps even more so if their current methods are also working for them (i.e., the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ideology). :D

Cheers

That's a good question! I'm not a developer, so I can't really answer for them, but appimage seems to be a great way to package software. Perhaps it is just human nature.... people are slow to change. And perhaps even more so if their current methods are also working for them (i.e., the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ideology). :D

Cheers
yeah im with you on that one. I develop with python mainly. And really only with standard libraries (my thought is theyre really just little scripts for myself anyways so im not so worried about the asthetics...) I guess I haven't even really looked a WHOLE lot into doing appImage myself either. But thats mainly because I dont really develop for the community at large, but rather for myself.

Hi Boyo :)

Wondered if you had come across any of this reading?

https://appimage.github.io/apps/

and

https://itsfoss.com/use-appimage-linux/

...why most devs...

By Devs, do you mean the devs of the software itself, or the devs whom provide us with the Linux Distros?

My guess is with the Linux Distro Devs, they are likely to take a bunch of packages already existing in the Linux marketplace and put the all together in one place, their Distro.

Some Distro Devs take the time to develop their own software, notable examples of this have been Ubuntu with the Ubiquity Installer and the Unity Desktop Environment (although the latter was forked from GNOME), and Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE.

Software licensing may also be an issue. Much of Linux is licensed under GPL, but in that first link I provided, we also see instances of MIT and others.

Have you made the acquaintance the burning solution, Etcher, yet? https://etcher.io - it is in AppImage and cross-platform.

I like it for an easy burn of .isos, but a limitation it has is that it fully allocates the space on your USB stick, leaving no room for Persistence to be added, whereas other solutions do.

Cheers

Wizard

Wizard,

that is QUITE the list! I do want to mention however I was not referring to distro devs as much as I was talking about regular software devs. AppImage is just so cross platform that I wonder why the likes of like google doesnt use it for chrome or ect.

anyways, that list is great! I will be bookmarking it to look through and support that project where possible. I have used etcher, thats what i used to burn my kali livedisk (as i dont prefer kali for anything more than a livedisk)

Members online