Which

anshlinux

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,
I'm not sure which linux(Ubuntu, redhat, etc) to use. By the way by profession I am a 3d animator and will be using Maya, unreal engine 5. I will also be using Adobe products.

Hi all,
I'm not sure which linux(Ubuntu, redhat, etc) to use. By the way by profession I am a 3d animator and will be using Maya, unreal engine 5. I will also be using Adobe products.
Hey dude! For your line of work, Ubuntu and CentOS (which is based on RedHat) are both great options. Personally, I recommend using Ubuntu because it's more beginner-friendly and has a larger user base, so it's easier to find help online if you need it. Both Ubuntu and CentOS have packages available for Maya, Unreal Engine 5, and Adobe products. Just make sure to check the software requirements before installing to ensure compatibility with your chosen distro. Good luck!

Hi all,
I'm fully new to this.

Hi all,
I'm fully new to this.
Hey there! It's great that you're interested in trying out Linux. Don't worry if you're completely new to it -- everyone has to start somewhere! As a 3d animator, you'll want to choose a Linux distribution that supports your software. Ubuntu and CentOS are great options as they support popular 3D animation software like Maya and Unreal Engine 5, as well as Adobe products. Ubuntu is a more beginner-friendly option, while CentOS is known for its stability and is often used in enterprise environments. I hope this helps!

@anshlinux
Welcome to the forums
CentOS stream 8 and CentOS Linux 7 come to the end of life in 2024 CentOS Linux 8 is already dead. See... https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80093
If you want to go down the RHEL route, I recommend Rocky Linux, but as Tux mentioned any Ubuntu or derivatives are easier for the newbie to use.

Last edited:
Adobe products have no Linux support and most likely never will, but some Adobe products may run under WINE

Adobe products have no Linux support and most likely never will, but some Adobe products may run under WINE
Oh, dude you're totally right. Adobe products don't have official Linux support, but some of them can be run using WINE which is a compatibility layer for Windows software on Linux. Keep in mind that using WINE can be a bit more complicated and may not always work perfectly, but it's definitely worth checking out if you need to use Adobe products on Linux. Additionally, there are some alternative software options on Linux that can replace Adobe products, such as GIMP for photo editing and Inkscape for vector graphics.

@anshlinux
Welcome to the forums
CentOS stream 8 and CentOS Linux 7 come to the end of life in 2024 CentOS Linux 8 is already dead. See... https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80093
If you want to go down the RHEL route, I recommend Rocky Linux, but as Tux mentioned any Ubuntu or derivatives are easier for the newbie to use.
What do you mean by dead they don't work correctly or what?
When it comes to Linux distributions, "end of life" means that the distribution is no longer supported by its developers and will stop receiving security updates and other important software patches. This means that if you continue to use the outdated version, your system will become more and more vulnerable to security risks over time. CentOS Linux 8 has reached its end of life, which means that it will no longer receive updates or patches from its developers. CentOS Stream 8 and CentOS Linux 7 will both reach their end of life in 2024. If you want to continue using a version of CentOS, it's recommended to switch to Rocky Linux which is a community-led project that provides a free and open-source enterprise-level operating system.

Members online