Which Version?

If it is not possible to connect that hard drive as a USB....via a USB cord to a USB port.....

Have a look at this

Unetbootin : https://unetbootin.github.io/

Be EXTRA careful where you download it to......to the desktop is good....or downloads is fine also

THEN......after you have elected which distribution to use...see screenshot below...

View attachment 8339

Linux Mint 20 is a good starting place.....

Then in the bottom of that screenshot you can see Hard Disk....and the space beside is blank ....click on that little arrow to open it and it will show a list of all hard drives/disks on the pc.....CHOOSE CAREFULLY....Make sure it is the SPARE hard drive....otherwise, you will wipe out the operating system on your PC (Windows)

I have NOT used this to install to a hard drive before....so proceed with caution.

(If the worst happened and you wiped windows, all would not be lost.....you would simply need to acquire a USB stick and 'burn' Linux Mint to that USB stick and then Install it. )
MAN! Where was this 10 hours ago??
When I click hard drive and click the down arrow to select the drive the C drive is the only drive that shows up despite the fact that I have 4 others, 3 of which are blank.
New plan!
I think this tool will download mint onto my current C drive, which isn't what I want. BUT, I think I can squeeze another download of win 10 out of my pen drive onto one of those other hard drives. THEN I can use the unetbootin to overwrite THAT hard drive. which is a completely ridiculous work around, but I suppose they all are.
While kinda dumb, I will give it a whirl, unless someone answers me by morning that I am only getting half the picture.

Greetings @clust3rfck
Looks to me like you have not digested much of the Linux basics yet.
It would be helpful if you would just slow down a bit and get some basic knowledge in how Linux works.
Do you remember how the education system is set up? First comes kindergarten, then elementary school, then junior high, then high school. Then you can go on to college. In education you do not start at the college level before you complete the earlier requirements.
When it comes to Linux I would surmise that you are probably in about the seventh grade. This is not a derogatory statement and not intended to be negative, just factual.
If and when you realise this, then you will start to be able to put the more advanced pieces together properly.
OG
Remind me to tell the story some time about which segment of society is the hardest to teach how to fly an airplane.

Greetings @clust3rfck
Looks to me like you have not digested much of the Linux basics yet.
It would be helpful if you would just slow down a bit and get some basic knowledge in how Linux works.
Do you remember how the education system is set up? First comes kindergarten, then elementary school, then junior high, then high school. Then you can go on to college. In education you do not start at the college level before you complete the earlier requirements.
When it comes to Linux I would surmise that you are probably in about the seventh grade. This is not a derogatory statement and not intended to be negative, just factual.
If and when you realise this, then you will start to be able to put the more advanced pieces together properly.
OG
Remind me to tell the story some time about which segment of society is the hardest to teach how to fly an airplane.
I appreciate your advice. Now that I got the silly thing to install, I can get started on the basics.

As an interface, this is not what I expected. I expected something more along the lines of a dos based GUI. Once I get through the getting started stuff, I can poke around.

Staff online

Members online