Which system to choose

Remi

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
What is best system for old IBM ThinkPad with Pentium M 1.2 GHz processor and 768MB Ram ?
This is to learn Linux and to install run simple www. server for a couple, simple web pages. Possibly https.
Thank you for the advice.

Regards

Your RAM is not enought to run any linux I now.

1) Puppy Linux - minimum system requirements 256Mb RAM
2) Slitaz Linux - minimum system requirements 192Mb RAM
2) Tiny Core Linux - minimum system requirements 128Mb RAM

Look e.g. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-distro-space/

A note of caution. You cannot use a lightweight distro and add a lot of heavyweight apps to it - without it becoming heavy and s-l-o-w.

Last edited:
Arch Linux should run on any i686 or x86_64compatible machine with a minimum of 256 MB RAM. A basic installation with all packages from the base group should take less than 800 MB of disk space. As the installation process needs to retrieve packages from a remote repository, a working internet connection is required.

But of course is not the easy way to learn Linux

Thank you for the reply. Will look for better machine. I have 2 ThinPad's like that, it will be shame to dump them as they are good stable laptops (very short on processing power :-(.

Don't throw 'em away yet, Remi :)

I'll throw a couple more in the cooking pot - MX-16/MX-17 and LXLE.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, brandishing CPUs)

Evening all from DownUnder :)

Whether the CPU supports PAE (Physical Address Extension) or is non-PAE can influence the choice of Linux lightweights available to be tried.

PAE is supported by all but the oldest Pentium M 's (those released around 2002 - 2003).

@Remi - is the Thinkpad running a version of Windows, if so, which?

If there is Windows 98 or later, you should be able to go to Start - Run and type in a command ms32info which launches the graphical for msinfo32.exe .

In its summary, you can tell us the exact make and model number of the Thinkpad, and in a section on CPU or Devices, it can likely say whether you have PAE or non-PAE.

To put that in context, with the MX Series, there is support for non-PAE up to MX-16, and then not with MX-17 (although I may have found a source)

.I spent a couple of hours checking some of these in my own environment this afternoon my time, and have Linux Lite OS 3.8, Peach OSI BB (BareBones), 4M Linux, Anti-X,and the new kid on the block is Q4OS 2.6 released yesterday - all of which may get up and fly on your unit.

In Australia, I have to sign out for now, soon, but will have more info tomorrow.

Tell us the size of your Hard Drive too and whether it has USB ports and how many, and/or a DVD Writer.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
ThinkPad X40
system model: 23716JG
system type: X86-based
processor: x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel 598 Mhz

I just switch one of them on and I can see some old Ubuntu installed on it. I can't get in as I don't know login details, but I guess they must have PAE then.

No DVD , 3 usb ports, HDD size 20GB

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online