Which Live USB distro ?

U

Usjes

Hi,

I am looking to run Linux live from a USB. I have tried Ubuntu Live and from an ease-of-use perspective it was great, I was online via my wireless network 30 seconds after powering up however it had a (in my view) major drawback that accounts could not be password protected (askubuntuDOTcomSLASHquestionsSLASH295701SLASHwhat-would-be-the-differences-between-a-persistent-usb-live-session-and-a-instalSLASH295776#295776). So I then tried Debian Live, and this was more like my memories of trying Linux years ago (couldn't get online at all), some brief googling indicates this is the result of non-free wireless drivers which are incompatible with the Debian philosophy. I'm sure I could get it to work by manually downloading the drivers etc. but I just dont have the time. So what I am looking for is a distribution with the ease-of-use of Ubuntu Live but with the ability to set user account passwords. More specifically I am looking for a fully updatable distribution to be run exclusivley live from a bootable USB stick. Note that I see an important distinction between a live CD/DVD and a USB stick in that the USB stick is mutable so I would like to be able to continuously keep my software up-to-date. I find it quite odd that of the distros I have looked at so far this distinction seems to be ignored. They treat a Live CD/DVD/USB as the same and they seem to be to be geared towards tyring the OS before you install it, but not as a permanent way of running the OS. Given that a 4Gb stick can be bought cheaply now it seems odd that there aren't distros targeting this segment, essentially having many of the benefits of the cloud but without actually relying on a cloud provider. If I can update Linux and all my tools continuously with security updates then I should be able to sit at nearly any machine and boot up my own environment. So, is there any distro that does this? Preferably one that just works out of the box with support for all common hardware even if this does entail using non-free drivers ?

Thanks,

Usjes

You should take a look at Slax. It is a distro that is built with the intention of running off a USB. It is at Slax.org

SparkyLinux?

SparkyLinux has gotten a new functionality – full installation on USB stick.
It means that you can do “normal” system installation, similar to the hard drive installation.
Key features:
- don’t need to cut your hard drive any more
- it’s possible to save your personal files, perform system upgrades, install new apps – everything on USB stick
http://sparkylinux.org/sparkylinux-full-usb-stick-installation/

...Needs at least 8Gb stick...

Huhhh, That's what I was looking for :) Thank you for your comment. Now I have downloaded Slax for my USB memory (I can't write the lnk because I'm not able to), and now I can enjoy it without installing on my PC. That is a good offer, and it is better if the PC that I'm using is not of mine. You deserve a (y) just like in facebook HeHeHe :D

Heeeeeeey Porteus is awesome too :) I can choose what would I like to my PenDrive... That is a good offer, knowing that it's light and free

Members online

Latest posts