Which Linux should I choose?

Akshansh Kumawat

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys! I am switching to Linux from Windows.
I want to install Linux on my old PC which is low end.
It has 2 GB RAM and Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I will add 2 GB more RAM. It is 32 bit OS.
Please tell me what Linux should I install?

Support for 32-bit systems: Yes

Ubuntu MATE is an impressive lightweight Linux distro that runs fast enough on older computers. It features the MATE desktop – so the user interface might seem a little different at first but it’s easy to use as well.

In addition to the desktop support, you can also try it on a Raspberry Pi or Jetson Nano.

Minimum system requirements for Ubuntu MATE:
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • CPU: Pentium M 1.0 GHz
  • Disk Space: 9 GB
  • Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
This information is from HERE

Also look at 12. Xubuntu (on same page)

and Linux Mint xfce

The xfce environments are very quick and light

@captain-sensible's suggection is good....put a few on a usb stick and try them out

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to drop multiple iso on same pen drive? I don't know much about installation.

PCLOS. Went and installed after not using for 8 yr -- surprised how easy nVidia and printer installed, updates occurred, etc. Would not hesitate to recommend to a newbie.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to drop multiple iso on same pen drive? I don't know much about installation.
yep - its one reason why i like ventoy you can have a few iso (intact as you download them ) on stick (after formatting ) . Then you can delete some put others on .

eg My stick

ventoy
├── ISO
│ ├── antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso
│ ├── bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
│ ├── linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso
│ ├── pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200126-amd64.hybrid.iso
│ ├── rescatux-0.73.iso
│ ├── super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso
│ └── systemrescuecd-amd64-6.1.4.iso
├── System Volume Information
│ ├── IndexerVolumeGuid
│ └── WPSettings.dat
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
└── ventoy.json

It is 32 bit OS.

How sure are you that you have a 32 bit processor ?

Determine if Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 is 32-bit or 64-bit

1. Press and hold the Windows Key and the Pause key.
  2. In the System window, next to System type it will list 32-bit Operating System for a 32-bit version of Windows, and 64-bit Operating System if you're running the 64-bit version.

Back in the day when 64 bit was new, they did ship with 32 bit windows. So don't just check the os, use a hardware utility to confirm your cpu architecture.

This is indeed important as not all distros support 32 bit these days.

However, I'm 99 percent sure Core 2 is all 64. I just installed Linux Mint Mate on a family member's duo. It worked fabulously.

All the suggestions above are fine, too. Boot a few iso before you install. Linux gives you choices :cool:

I asked which processor...32 or 64....for the same reason @furtom has put forward....I too am fairly certain that all Core 2 machines are in fact 64 bit

CPU-Z provides that info (and more ). Best to make sure. If it is 64 bit, it opens up a whole swag of OS's that you can use.....especially with 4 GB of ram......

yep - its one reason why i like ventoy you can have a few iso (intact as you download them ) on stick (after formatting ) . Then you can delete some put others on .

eg My stick

ventoy
├── ISO
│ ├── antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso
│ ├── bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
│ ├── linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso
│ ├── pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200126-amd64.hybrid.iso
│ ├── rescatux-0.73.iso
│ ├── super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso
│ └── systemrescuecd-amd64-6.1.4.iso
├── System Volume Information
│ ├── IndexerVolumeGuid
│ └── WPSettings.dat
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
└── ventoy.json
Thanks bro. I'll use ventoy

How sure are you that you have a 32 bit processor ?

Determine if Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 is 32-bit or 64-bit

1. Press and hold the Windows Key and the Pause key.
  2. In the System window, next to System type it will list 32-bit Operating System for a 32-bit version of Windows, and 64-bit Operating System if you're running the 64-bit version.
IMG_20200706_081801.JPG

Yeah Im sure ive 32 bit. My cpu isn't booting right now. My vendor will come and repair it. But outside the cpu on the label it is written Intel Core 2 Duo. But I'll also check it after it gets repaired.

Back in the day when 64 bit was new, they did ship with 32 bit windows. So don't just check the os, use a hardware utility to confirm your cpu architecture.

This is indeed important as not all distros support 32 bit these days.

However, I'm 99 percent sure Core 2 is all 64. I just installed Linux Mint Mate on a family member's duo. It worked fabulously.

All the suggestions above are fine, too. Boot a few iso before you install. Linux gives you choices :cool:
Thanks. I'll check it.

I asked which processor...32 or 64....for the same reason @furtom has put forward....I too am fairly certain that all Core 2 machines are in fact 64 bit

CPU-Z provides that info (and more ). Best to make sure. If it is 64 bit, it opens up a whole swag of OS's that you can use.....especially with 4 GB of ram......

Yes ill check it. And I'll also add extra RAM as i got some extra. Thanks for your support.:)