Which Linux is easy to learn

V

viviansam

Hi Seniors,

Please suggest me which one is the best Linux to learn.

I have only two options. RedHat or Debian. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Viv.

There is an article with the title " The first rule of choosing a desktop Linux distribution: User, know thyself"

"User, know thyself"

Why do you want to learn Linux? For what purpose and to what level?

"When you say "I have only two options. RedHat or Debian." Why do you only have two options? It looks like you are asking for the purpose of future employment. Suppose, we said Debian and a future, prospective employer used Redhat, or vice versa.

Elsewhere in the Forum you talk about Centos. There is also Fedora which is also close to RPM.

How will you install Centos/Debian? Download it yourself? Do a Netinstall? Buy or borrow a disk?

"User, know thyself"

There is an article with the title " The first rule of choosing a desktop Linux distribution: User, know thyself"

"User, know thyself"

Why do you want to learn Linux? For what purpose and to what level?

"When you say "I have only two options. RedHat or Debian." Why do you only have two options? It looks like you are a****g for the purpose of future employment. Suppose, we said Debian and a future, prospective employer used Redhat, or vice versa.

Elsewhere in the Forum you talk about Centos. There is also Fedora which is also close to RPM.

How will you install Centos/Debian? Download it yourself? Do a Netinstall? Buy or borrow a disk?

"User, know thyself"

Hi Sir,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Purpose is to get an overseas job. I am from India and did BSc computer science. BSc is not same as BS in USA. BSc here in India is a three year program with basic coverage. There was no deep Linux networking topics in our syllabus. We have TCP/IP as one paper related with networking.

One of my college senior is working in South Africa for a company, where they use RedHat and Debian Linux. They are planning for a recruitment next year. If I can learn and get certification, there is a chance for an overseas job.

I am also trying for an RHCE certification. I tried to download RedHat Enterprise Linux, but RedHat Enterprise Linux is not available for download. If CentOS is same as RedHat Enterprise Linux, I can download it and use for practice. It will be a great help if you can post an official RedHat Enterprise Linux 7 download link.

I am not sure about Fedora. I can find only an ISO file with about 1 GB in Fedora download page. It is labelled Fedora 20 Desktop Edition. Please suggest this is good for my purpose.

I am planning to download RedHat/Debian/CentOS and install in VirtualBox to start with. Later will make a DVD and install in a computer. It may take 2 days to download, file size is 4 GB.

My PC config is AMD 8 Core/1 TB HDD/8 GB RAM/DVD drive.

Thank you very much,

Viv.

As far as the Debian side of the issue goes, I'd reccommend starting with HandyLinux 32-bit then, immediately after installing, downloading and using the true-Debian-only award-winning script, smxi. This script makes post-install tweaks a breeze, it will allow user to see and experience an introduction into the power of Debian.

everydaylinuxuser has a review OP and other users may find informative.

I'm just going to give you my experiences on the two operating systems.

1. I love Debian, it's my favorite OS and my favorite home computing tool. This is great for people getting into Linux, and I'd recommend XFCE / Gnome as your GUI.

2. CentOS will be your bigger money maker. (Personal experience) You will be sought after by good companies if you have plenty of experience with Red Hat / CentOS. If you learn Red Hat, you'll already know CentOS and can branch off from there.

My two cents, learn both of the operating systems together.

1. Install locally a Debian desktop environment.
2. Learn CentOS by connecting to servers with your Debian environment.

You will "NOT" regret it. That's what I did, and now I do a lot of work for many companies. Learn Debian passively, go hardcore on CentOS. You'll love it!

The Easiest Version Of Linux To Learn:

Ubuntu: The Most Popular : For those who have heard about Linux here and there but haven’t really looked into it much more than that, Ubuntu is often synonymous with Linux.

Zorin OS: The Most Familiar : Zorin OS is a distribution of Linux built off of an Ubuntu foundation. But even though it has roots in Ubuntu, the developers have made some significant decisions that clearly differentiate Zorin OS.

Linux Mint: The Most User-Friendly : Linux Mint is the second most popular Linux distribution, right behind Ubuntu. Interestingly enough, Linux Mint is actually built on top of Ubuntu. Though Ubuntu might have a larger audience.

Members online

Latest posts