Which Linux do you use?

why do you wish to know ?

I run Neon. It's a Distribution by KDE, based off of LTS Ubuntu. Basically it's the latest and greatest KDE at all times.

So if a majority of people using Kali answer.....you will then also use Kali ?

I use Ubuntu, but I am getting into fedora as I am going into a class about it.

Primarily redhat derivatives. (Fedora, Scientific, Oracle Unbreakable, CentOS, and Redhat).
But also Ubuntu and Slackware.

I use several different Linux Distros however I prefer Debian based Linux Distros because they offer rock solid stability.

The latest and greatest isn't always the best because with anything new comes bugs that can cause problems.

The software that Debian uses may not be the newest although is stable and rock solid and just plain works imo.

LMDE 3 Cindy and Linux Antix 17.1 are just two of the Debian based Linux distros I prefer.

The latest and greatest isn't the best for everyone. But if you're interested there's actually 2 paths you can go, KDE User or KDE Test. I took the KDE User path, which is more stable. But If you want the latest and greatest, you know you're taking a chance with bugs and if you're ok with that, then its fine. I also use Firefox Nightly, again, latest and greatest. And I'm ok if there's an issue here and there.

@TechnoJunky Please explain why KDE is so great as I've tried KDE and just wasn't impressed at all unless you are into eye candy.

What is the attraction that makes KDE the best choice in your opinion.

Please don't take my question the wrong way as it is not intended to be that way only inquiring as to why.

Sure, I like eye candy. I also used Enlightenment and Bodhi for a while because of that. I like KDE because I've become familiar with it (used it for 12 years now). I like that you can easily customize pretty much anything in it. I use the old K menu, not the new one. In it everything is easy to find whatever I need. Everything is in this one menu. I've checked out some of the other desktops and in some of them some things are in this menu and some are in that location. I guess it boils down to simple, clean and easy to customize.

OK I did fail to mention that KDE does offer a lot of customization features that certain other desktops / user interfaces do not offer.

I remember the days of Windows Vista and Windows 7 with their Aero which for the most only offered eye candy.

Yes I agree that KDE desktop / user interface does offer a lot of desktop features that others don't.

Thanks for the input and explanation as I'm always willing to learn other users opinions and points of view as to why they choose and use the Linux Distros they use.

Sometimes my curiosity can be a curse as much as a learning experience.

Thanks TechnoJunky

G'day and Welcome to new Members @Buiu , @m0takabbir and @nat161 :)

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, sets fire to the carpet, stamps it out, looks around to see if the wife saw, phew, no)

I voted Other/comment

Why? Because i use 90 of the suckers (Linux Distros)

You can read about them at

https://linux.org/threads/wizards-n...dog-tips-tricks-and-a-bit-byte-of-news.24312/

#1 page 1, and #21 page 2

Now bear in mind that is probably only 50 to 60 discrete Linux, with version and desktop variations.

I am currently writing this from a Knoppix USB stick with Persistence built in and find it interesting. I may install it s well.

Because the OP (original poster, that is you, @Buiu ) said "...do you use" in his Title, that is my answer.

If I were polled on what I prefer, what are my Faves, I would still have 10 to 20 listed, from the 5 Families.

(5+ , with independent/other)

New Members can get a better understanding on what is available in "The Wonderful World of Linux" by reading this at Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

and exploring DistroWatch.com , who also have a Page Hit Ranking here

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Both these sources can seem overwhelming in the choices available, but GNU/Linux is all about choices as opposed to having none at all :)

IMO

Saturday here in Oz so enjoy your Linux(es) and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

On a Moderator's Note

I will remove this Post in a day or two, so it does not have a long-term impact or impression of derailing what is a legitimate Poll by @Buiu .

@Buiu , Brian @Condobloke , and TJ @TechnoJunky have started off a little on the back foot with earlier Posts.

I expect that that can be resolved amicably.

Brian and others here have justifiable concerns about Data Mining, and Privacy Protection, plus we Staff fight a seemingly never-ending battle against Spammers.

I encourage New Members to place an introduction at

https://linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/

... and I see in my crystal ball that @Buiu has done just that, I will slip over there momentarily.

There, you can let us know a bit about yourself, and meet some of The Gang, and we can better understand each other and support each other. :)

Thanks to the erstwhile efforts of our untiring Admin, @Rob , we now have a Gamers Section, and an Off Topic Section, which can act as a speakeasy for "gasbagging" about just about anything.

I encourage you to make use of these to help grow our Community.

I will be placing a Thread or a Poll at Off-Topic soon as I can which may assist those who are subject to Mental Disorders, and maybe one for Physically Challenged as well.

@Buiu has shown courage in "outing" himself about his Noonan's Disorder right from the beginning, and is to be commended for that.

In return, I can tell you that I have eight (8) Mental Disorders, all lifelong, all incurable, and are medicated and self-Managed.

So if I seem a little whacky it is because I have a Ph.D. in nuts.

But this place is home to me, so no pistols at 20 paces, please.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

On a Moderator's Note

I will remove this Post in a day or two, so it does not have a long-term impact or impression of derailing what is a legitimate Poll by @Buiu .

@Buiu , Brian @Condobloke , and TJ @TechnoJunky have started off a little on the back foot with earlier Posts.

I expect that that can be resolved amicably.

Brian and others here have justifiable concerns about Data Mining, and Privacy Protection, plus we Staff fight a seemingly never-ending battle against Spammers.

I encourage New Members to place an introduction at

https://linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/

... and I see in my crystal ball that @Buiu has done just that, I will slip over there momentarily.

There, you can let us know a bit about yourself, and meet some of The Gang, and we can better understand each other and support each other. :)

Thanks to the erstwhile efforts of our untiring Admin, @Rob , we now have a Gamers Section, and an Off Topic Section, which can act as a speakeasy for "gasbagging" about just about anything.

I encourage you to make use of these to help grow our Community.

I will be placing a Thread or a Poll at Off-Topic soon as I can which may assist those who are subject to Mental Disorders, and maybe one for Physically Challenged as well.

@Buiu has shown courage in "outing" himself about his Noonan's Disorder right from the beginning, and is to be commended for that.

In return, I can tell you that I have eight (8) Mental Disorders, all lifelong, all incurable, and are medicated and self-Managed.

So if I seem a little whacky it is because I have a Ph.D. in nuts.

But this place is home to me, so no pistols at 20 paces, please.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I apologize for everything, and sorry for the inconvenience, my intention was just to do a search ie poll.

No need for apologies, @Buiu :) Everybody is special in some way, but you and I and likely some others here, are special in different ways.

I am off for my Aussie evening, but rest easy - dorma bem.

This is a good community, and you will fit in fine. :)

Wizard

Staff online