Which linux distro suitable for Compaq Presario 700

z2168235

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I'm new to linux, there are so many distro, I'm totally overwhelm and confuse.

Cut the story short, recently I discovered I have extremely old laptop, Compaq Presario 700. Still in working condition with WindowsXP preinstalled. Internet explorer cannot be use to browse internet anymore, give me some security issue message. I can't even install Chrome browser, HW does not meet requirement.

I would like to install linux but do not know which distro suitable for such old system. Anyone could recommend which distro suitable for such old system?

I was planning to use the system just for internet browsing, Zoom meeting, youtube probably not possible

CPU: Mobile AMD Duron
Core speed 1096 MHz
Chipset VIA KN133
Southbridge VIA VT82C686
Memory SDRAM 128 MBytes at 133MHz
GPU: S3 Graphics Adapter
Wireless dongle 802.11n MT7601

Thank you

@z2168235 -- Welcome!

These must be your machine's specs
Processor / Chipset
CPU AMD Duron 900 MHz
Cache L2 - 64 KB
Data Bus Speed 200 MHz
Chipset Type VIA ProSavage KN133
Features PowerNow! technology

Cache Memory
L2 cache 64 KB

Storage
Floppy Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy - integrated
Optical Drive DVD-ROM fixed
Read Speed 8x

RAM
Memory Speed 133 MHz
Technology SDRAM
Installed Size 256 MB

First thing to do is max out your RAM with something like these 2X1GB SODIMMs
otherwise, you will be severely handicapped as to which distro to use. Even after
the upgrade, it will be a 32bit distribution.

A burner or access to a burner for a LiveCD to try woud be optimal.

I could not tell if your F700 has USB capabilities. Does it?

Suggest taking care of the hardware (RAM) concern first. Then come back here.

Here are Techradar's recommendations. Hardware issues first, however.

If you do not have the ability to add ram or if you dont consider it worth the hassle.......find another laptop/tower to convert.

Make sure any alternative pc/laptop is 64 bit, and has a minimum of 4gb of ram

@z2168235 -- Welcome!

These must be your machine's specs
Processor / Chipset
CPU AMD Duron 900 MHz
Cache L2 - 64 KB
Data Bus Speed 200 MHz
Chipset Type VIA ProSavage KN133
Features PowerNow! technology

Cache Memory
L2 cache 64 KB

Storage
Floppy Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy - integrated
Optical Drive DVD-ROM fixed
Read Speed 8x

RAM
Memory Speed 133 MHz
Technology SDRAM
Installed Size 256 MB

First thing to do is max out your RAM with something like these 2X1GB SODIMMs
otherwise, you will be severely handicapped as to which distro to use. Even after
the upgrade, it will be a 32bit distribution.

A burner or access to a burner for a LiveCD to try woud be optimal.

I could not tell if your F700 has USB capabilities. Does it?

Suggest taking care of the hardware (RAM) concern first. Then come back here.

Here are Techradar's recommendations. Hardware issues first, however.

No capability to boot up from USB.
The maximum RAM the system able to support is 128M (build in) + 256M SODIMM = 384MB... hahaha

BTW thanks for the link, "Damn small linux" might work

An S3 graphics driver is going to be very hard to find, from what I've seen. Maybe a really old distro, but then you'll be fighting security issues, unless you stay off the 'net.

I manage to install puppy linux 4.3.1, newer version bionicpup32-8.0 can boot up but unusable due to extremely slow take about a minutes just to move a cursor. 4.3.1 is surprisingly fast, much faster that the pre installed WindowsXP. However it cannot connect to wifi yet, I'm guessing need to install linux driver somehow. The system able to detect the wifi dongle correctly though, MT7601

An S3 graphics driver is going to be very hard to find, from what I've seen. Maybe a really old distro, but then you'll be fighting security issues, unless you stay off the 'net.
A this point I'm trying just for fun. It would be cool if I can resurrect laptop build in 2001.

Press on! Unfortunately, replacing the video card on an ancient laptop is a bridge too far, so it might mean finding an older distro or a very special distro to make the S3 video card run with any sort of goodness.

Good luck with the experiment :)

I manage to install puppy linux 4.3.1, newer version bionicpup32-8.0 can boot up but unusable due to extremely slow take about a minutes just to move a cursor. 4.3.1 is surprisingly fast, much faster that the pre installed WindowsXP. However it cannot connect to wifi yet, I'm guessing need to install linux driver somehow. The system able to detect the wifi dongle correctly though, MT7601
I built an updated 4.31 a year ago called 4.311 Phoenix here:

It was a celebration of 4.31 (10 years as it came out in 2009)

If that doesn't work, there are other older Puppies to try archived there.

What is the different between all 3 ISO file? V1 (277.9M), V2 (238.7M) and V3 (519.4M)?

Members online