Which linux distro should I choose for a old laptop?

Unity___

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone,
I have got an old laptop I want to use it as a secondary linux laptop. I have already installed linux mint (xfce 32bit) on it and it worked absolutly fine, however I sort of bricked the system and instead of repairing it I want to install a new one.

Specs: Cpu: Dual core Intel pentium P6200 with a boost tact of 2.13ghz
Memory: 4gb
Graphics: Integrated graphics
Mobo: Acer HMA_71CP
Storage: 500gb hdd

Requierements: I do not have any specific requierements at the system. I just want an OS that runs smoothly on the laptop. I have some prior experience with linux mint however I wouldn't consider myself an expert.

Thank you for reading through my question. Any answer is highly appreciated. If you need any additional info, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

If its a 32 bit system then have a look at this..
The system has a 64bit architecture, at the time I installed Mint (about one year ago) I did not know this (however why I didn't know this is a mystery to me).

That's fair enough, in which case it will run almost any distribution you wish, but will be a little quicker with a medium/lightweight distribution, examples, MX-21, Linux -lite, Kubuntu, Debian stable etc.
If it is still up and running with mint-32 you can run in a terminal inxi -Fnxz to find out what components are in your laptop, and post the results back if you want us to check component compatibility

That's fair enough, in which case it will run almost any distribution you wish, but will be a little quicker with a medium/lightweight distribution, examples, MX-21, Linux -lite, Kubuntu, Debian stable etc.
If it is still up and running with mint-32 you can run in a terminal inxi -Fnxz to find out what components are in your laptop, and post the results back if you want us to check
Sorry for the late answer. I ran the command and updated the specs.

Also thanks for all your help. I looked into the distros you provided as well as the various ubuntu distros and I now think that kubuntu might be the best choice for me.

Last edited:
the kernel to old or to new
MX is probably the most up-to-date distro out there at the moment,

I used to use peppermint on one of my low power laptops, but changed last year, peppermint 11 was due out 18 months ago, but due to the death of its team leader, it took a while for a new team to take over, there is still no news on when P11 will be finished and P10 is running out of time

there is still no news on when P11 will be finished and P10 is running out of time

That's when you go ask if there's anything you can do to help. ;)

LINUX LITE PROBLEMS

I have a 2009 laptop with a single core Celeron.It is one solid piece of kit and still has DVD fitted. Very useful.

My main distro is Mint running on quad core i5 at 3.4G, which lives up to its name. However, it is a bit much for the laptop so looked for lightweight for it and Lite seemed to fit the bill. It certainly runs quicker but the ghastly failures of the authors are an object lesson in how not to design a system.

THUNAR the worst possible file manager - single pane only. Remove it and Synaptic and Control Panel fail to run. No need to look any further. Linux package with all the vices of Windows. One basic utility app missing and the system fails.

SOFTWARE MANAGER

The worst ever seen. Very limited repository. REMOVE only removes user installed apps.
No remove access to out-of-box apps. Why install and remove are separate apps? No deb install manager. CLI needed to install up-to-date deb package of Libreoffice. Supplied version of Libre had to be removed by hand and even then had to "hide" app in menu as icons left behind - and no menu editor!!!!!

MENU EDITOR No menu editor - ludicrous

WORKSPACES

Will only allow 5 before it defaults to "Workspace X" label and cannot be reduced. With 5, the label can be made a single digit stating workspace number. I have seen this on other Linux distros and it seems like an unnecessary limit on capability. Not good.

SUMMARY

The above was enough to consign it to the bin. Prefer a slower system that actually works.

[Removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
peppermint is a good lightweight flavor of Mint.
Peppermint has recently released version 11 after almost 2 years.

Members online