Which Linux Distro is best for beginners?

edwardmax

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone! Newbie in this forum. Want suggestions from an experienced member, which linux distribution is best for me as I want to run 2 OS on a single laptop. Currently I have windows 8.1, 8gb RAM, 1TB hard drive and core i7 not sure about processor and want to install linux or any best distribution as well for beginner. To explore the linux OS and use to practice linux command as recently I enrolled AI based course where they teach Linux from basics.

Give your recommendations? please....

There is not one best GNU/Linux distribution, but since you are a beginner I would start with either Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Last edited:
and want to install linux or any best distribution as well for beginner.
For a "beginner" I recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
It is easy enough to try all the other Linux distros once you get your feet wet and learn the Linux paradigm.

I'd pick Linux Mint Cinnamon over Ubuntu as its layout and UI design is similar to that of Windows.

I'd pick Linux Mint Cinnamon over Ubuntu as its layout and UI design is similar to that of Windows.
Linux Mint Cinnamon isn't a distro, it's a flavor of a distro. I used Gnome2 when I started with Gnu/Linux, after Gnome2 become obsolete I switched to Mate, because it more of a Gnome2 look and feel. Shortly after I switched to Cinnamon just to have a more modern Desktop and because I still thought it had enough of the Gnome2 look and feeling. However you can make your DE look however you like, it's better to get used to something new and adjusting it than keeping it to what you are used to.

Linux Mint Cinnamon isn't a distro, it's a flavor of a distro. I used Gnome2 when I started with Gnu/Linux, after Gnome2 become obsolete I switched to Mate, because it more of a Gnome2 look and feel. Shortly after I switched to Cinnamon just to have a more modern Desktop and because I still thought it had enough of the Gnome2 look and feeling. However you can make your DE look however you like, it's better to get used to something new and adjusting it than keeping it to what you are used to.
Yes, but a new user won't know how to change their desktop environment or alter how it looks. In most cases they would be using its default look and feel.

Yes, but a new user won't know how to change their desktop environment or alter how it looks. In most cases they would be using its default look and feel.
I always found the default KDE looking more like Windows than Cinnamon that's why I avoided it like the plague when I first started using Gnu/Linux. I still have never used it and am not planning to, agreed but any Desktop Environment(DE) is better than the Windows DE. :cool:

Staff online