Which Linux Distributions is the best for Mac M1?

Tory

Reaction score
Credits
Thank You

what it means?
Arch is a distro not best-suited for Linux beginners.
I've got an M1 MacBook Air that runs quite nicely with MacOS. Are you replacing yours with an M2?

Oh, and welcome to Linux.org!

I've got an M1 MacBook Air that runs quite nicely with MacOS. Are you replacing yours with an M2?
My MacBook M1 is new one and working perfectly, only I want to learn coding in Linux, that s why I want this to try

I want to use both of them parallel o
n a Macbook

My MacBook M1 is new one and working perfectly, only I want to learn coding in Linux, that s why I want this to try
What about running something like Linux Mint in Parallels?

Last edited:
I want to use both of them parallel o
n a Macbook
Welcome to the forums, if you wish to just learn to code then my advice is to install any Linux you choose into a virtual machine and run it from there, that way you can delete it at any time without damaging your macOS by mistake

What about running something like Linux Mint in Parallels?

thank you for advice I will think about it

Good idea, thank you very much
Welcome to the forums, if you wish to just learn to code then my advice is to install any Linux you choose into a virtual machine and run it from there, that way you can delete it at any time without damaging your macOS by mistake

more info if you need it

But at first i should to learn how to use Linux itself?!

But at first i should to learn how to use Linux itself?!
Not a problem, you can still learn and use Linux from the VM, If you end up preferring Linux in the future then is the time to do a full installation.
My link included that too, but I'm just a bag of turds. lol
Sorry missed that [great minds think alike.. Fools seldom vary]

Side question for OP:

How do you like the M1? It is blazing-ly fast? Does it stay relatively cool when under load?

When the kernel gets M1 support, I'm probably gonna buy one - assuming it's as awesome as people say.

Tory wrote:
I want to learn coding in Linux, that s why I want this to try

I can't tell you which is the best linux distro for the Mac M1, but what I can tell you is that your Mac can be run very similarly to a linux computer. Nearly of the linux programs are downloadable to the Mac through the homebrew package management system, which includes the C coding essentials like gcc and clang and all manner of other programming languages ... all free. The terminals and IDEs if you want them are mostly available. If you want to cross-compile for linux architectures, that's possible. It's all a learning curve. You would need to get Mac's xcode program and perhaps some other generic program-assisting programs ... I'm a little out of date having given up my Mac a few years ago.

The Macs are made to optimally run Apple's operating systems though linux can run on pretty much any of them. My reading on the matter suggests that linux is still most superior on intel or amd hardware, so I think that for optimal facility, one might consider matching hardware with software. On the other hand, that may not matter in some considerations.

My current personal computer is a Mac. I run Linux on that Mac in virtual machines. I have been doing thiat for many years. It works great. Virtual machines offer advantages like "Snapshots", which allow you to save the machine, try something you are not sure about, and then restore the machine back to the snapshot. You can create many snapshots, branch them, etc. One drawback of virtual machines is that they use a lot of drive space. They also like RAM memory.

Virtual machine software for Macs includes VirtualBox (free) and Parallels, which were mentioned above. Another is VMware Fusion, which has not been mentioned before. I use VMware Fusion for many reasons, but mostly for compatibility with VMware virtual machines that run on Windows, and Linux, (and ESXi). Many products are available as downloadable VMware virtual machines, including ready-to-run Linux distros.

(Our firewall was available as a VMware virtual machine, and I ran it on a Mac mini Server for several years. Now we run the firewall on its own hardware, but the server is still the family server. Beginners should avoid Kali Linux, but Kali is one example of a Linux distro that comes in ready-to-run virtual machines for VMware and VirtualBox, but not Parallels.)
  • VirtualBox is free, but less user friendly.
  • Parallels is very good, and many consider it better than VMware Fusion.
  • VMware Fusion is more compatible with their VMware equivalents on other platforms. I believe that more downloadable, ready-to-run virtual machines are available for VMware than the others combined.
They all have their positive attributes and negative tradeoffs.

P.S. Allow me to emphasize @osprey's comments above about Macs. Under the hood, the Mac operating system (macOS) is certified Unix. Unix has much in common with Linux, including a Terminal application that takes many (most?) of the same commands, man pages, shell scripts, etc.

P.S. Allow me to emphasize @osprey's comments above about Macs. Under the hood, the Mac operating system (macOS) is certified Unix.
No the current MacOS has a BSD codebase and BSD is also not Unix certified but Unix like.
macOS makes use of the BSD codebase and the XNU kernel,[14] and its core set of components is based upon Apple's open source Darwin operating system.

No the current MacOS has a BSD codebase and BSD is also not Unix certified but Unix like.

What you say is sensible, but does not match what others have been saying over the years. This Wikipedia article and Apple's own propaganda say that macOS is "UNIX 03" certified. The UNIX certification comes from The Open Group. Quoting the Wikipedia article on macOS: "All releases from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and after are UNIX 03 certified, with an exception for OS X 10.7 Lion." Apple used to have more on its website about how macOS is Unix, but I could not find it. Wikipedia is not an authoritative source, but it was the best I could find in a brief search. This will get you started, and note that the first link is different than the one you cited above:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Group

You can believe that macOS is Unix or not. It won't change macOS. I choose to believe the many sources that say it is Unix. It does not affect how I use it or what others believe, and that's fine. I can truthfully say that it behaves like other "real" Unix systems I have used, but trying to remember them all is an exercise in futility. From memory: SunOS/Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, Digital Unix on Alpha, whatever Apollo called theirs, probably others. My days of debugging kernel level code are long passed, and I have not delved into the macOS "Darwin" kernel at all.

I think the official term is "UNIX". I knew that, but most people write "Unix", so I do it too.

Members online

Latest posts