Which Linux distribution do you use?

If you learn how to use a Debian, RPM and Arch based systems you will have covered most of them.
pretty much, both Debian and Red hat have tons of child operating systems, to coin a new term :D

here's a large portion of them:

in terms of which systems are actually get updated, and which ones are practical to use [for you], the list is much, much narrower. I installed FreeBSD on OracleVM about a year ago, and it appears that it's only useful on some organization's network, which makes sense since linux was basically a Bell Lab's creation.

What I lament is the fact that there aren't very many functional smartphone systems which are not proprietary. There were some you tube videos that i thought sounded kinda paranoid about the tracking nature of smartphones (one guy said google, with a straight face, was an "evil actor"), but i do think the shadowy zero-control nature of smartphone software should be a huge concern for all consumers...

I choose Debian because of their social contract that I read and I liked and it also work fine in my new laptop. Debian 11 is very stable and it return from suspension every time... I have also tried Mint and I removed it because of minor problems in my laptops. I don't know enough to choose with certainty yet. I'm influenced by opinions in forums and blogs. I look for privacy, security and transparent practices and Debian claim to be all that.

I choose Debian because of their social contract that I read and I liked and it also work fine in my new laptop. Debian 11 is very stable and it return from suspension every time... I have also tried Mint and I removed it because of minor problems in my laptops.
To coin an old cliche "If You Got a Sure Thing Then Stick With It.".

At work, mostly Redhat. At home, mostly Fedora. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, or for a gamer.
But for someone who likes to play with "up and coming" or the "latest and greatest" especially in the enterprise
server realm. It's hard to beat. You can subscribe to Fedora support now. Also Parsec and CIQ offer support
contracts for commercial Fedora.

No point in my voting, I use 70 Linux.

Yup... I've got VMs for a ton of distros - never counted how many. I use 'em all to one extent or another. I'll full-screen the VM and just do my 'work' from there.

I use my own - Expirion LXQt and Expirion Xfce - and on my machine I use to build that is running Expirion LXQt-CE

I have the same concerns! I already did some research. I created a thread about it:
There are not many ideas (Only one at that time: Manjaro with Plasma Mobile), but I am still searching.
I swear one day I'll come back on this thread and write "I installed Linux on my smartphone"!
What do you think of LineageOS? That was how i ended up watching youtube videos about smartphones and privacy...it's pretty much the case that there's no privacy on an android [sufficiently better than apple IMO], and there's all sorts of tracking data even though I think to most of those companies your data is just part of some conglomerate API statistic, so "you" are not really the concern per say...it's just about researching hordes of consumers so they can sell you crap based on location/interests/etc.

LineageOS, on that chart i posted above, is a pretty freakin' small tree. My concern is more or less on a personal level, i think of my android as an ad phone, and it's constantly annoying me, along with the robo callers which i have learned to recognize and ignore overtime without those "spam likely" warnings (i still have a samsung galaxy s7 and i refuse to toss it until it stops working altogether...)

how is the installation going ? are you up and running ; bit of leg pulling on my part - humour was the only thing that kept me sane during wife's illness !

It's going to have to be a weekend project. I don't need the frustration during the work week. I have a few older ThinkPads around to install it on.

My goal for this fun project is going to be simple. 1) Perform a vanilla install of the distro. 2) Get WIFI working. 3) Install LibreOffice if it's not installed by default. Create and save a document. 4) Navigate to and log into linux.org so the forum software can fingerprint/log evidence of my being on Arch. 4) I WIN!

It's going to have to be a weekend project. I don't need the frustration during the work week. I have a few older ThinkPads around to install it on.

My goal for this fun project is going to be simple. 1) Perform a vanilla install of the distro. 2) Get WIFI working. 3) Install LibreOffice if it's not installed by default. Create and save a document. 4) Navigate to and log into linux.org so the forum software can fingerprint/log evidence of my being on Arch. 4) I WIN!
you will need 2) before 1) because it needs internet to download unless you are going for ethernet

Main distro: Backbox Linux, which is an Ubuntu-based distro. Sometimes I use others like Xubuntu.
Here's a chart from Google Trends. View the chart here.

googletrends-linux.png

Main distro: Backbox Linux, which is an Ubuntu-based distro. Sometimes I use others like Xubuntu.
Here's a chart from Google Trends. View the chart here.

googletrends-linux.png

ubuntu has long been heralded for how "easy it is to use", but it's really not the easiest desktop friendly linux operating system anymore. Fedora is also easy to use, i find kali to be easy to use as well even if its tools are far from easy to use. I plan on installing debian at some point as it gets the most updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've totally lost interest in the testing version of debian...erased bootloader access to Fedora partition, has no reboot command by default...weak.

I've totally lost interest in the testing version of debian...erased bootloader access to Fedora partition, has no reboot command by default...weak.

Weird... All I have at hand (and I have very little time right now) is a stable Debian VM and it certainly has a reboot with 'sudo reboot'. To not have it in testing seems a strange oversight. I'd be interested in knowing their motivations behind that decision. After all, I'm pretty sure it's either from the kernel or the init system - like systemd. They'd (I'm pretty sure) have to intentionally remove access to it.

I voted Manjaro and Other because I just switched from Manjaro (again) yesterday to EndeavourOS.

I still selected Manjaro because for some reason I keep ending up back on it because the broken system after updates outweighs things not running well. That would be Pop, which I enjoy until it runs like thick syrup on a cold day, and Fedora which I really, really liked but it kept force powering my laptop off.

Here's to hoping EndevourOS will finally be home!

Members online