Which laptop to get for learning Linux for beginners ?

Zero and One

Reaction score
Credits
Can anyone suggest an affordable laptop on market for learning Linux starting from installing it please ?

Go to Walmart site and enter something like "Win7 laptops"
When the results appear, further filter them to show Dell and Lenovo.
There you go, look for at least a Core2Duo that runs at 2.2 (at least 2.0)GHz and has a minimum of 4GB RAM. You can even get some on ebay without an OS or even an hard drive (add a SSD).
Don't need to spend more than $150 give or take 50, especially if comfortable adding more RAM or a SSD, if desired (it is desired).
A newbie is better off with a non-UEFI Windows 7 computer, to begin with, IMHO Have fun and . . .
Best wishes!

Go to Walmart site and enter something like "Win7 laptops"
When the results appear, further filter them to show Dell and Lenovo.
There you go, look for at least a Core2Duo that runs at 2.2 (at least 2.0)GHz and has a minimum of 4GB RAM. You can even get some on ebay without an OS or even an hard drive (add a SSD).
Don't need to spend more than $150 give or take 50, especially if comfortable adding more RAM or a SSD, if desired (it is desired).
A newbie is better off with a non-UEFI Windows 7 computer, to begin with, IMHO Have fun and . . .
Best wishes!

Thank you very much @sp331yi really appreciate your advice. Just being little greedy, could you also give me advice on which distro to start from ? I am more interested in hacking side and I know I have to work very hard to learn it. Currently, I am working as a network technician and also learning python at the same time. Thank You again.

EDIT: beg borrow or steal an old Dell or HP from a dumpster or kindly old custodian at an office where computers are upgraded, and chances are you have something you can use.

Thank you very much @sp331yi really appreciate your advice. Just being little greedy, could you also give me advice on which distro to start from ? I am more interested in hacking side and I know I have to work very hard to learn it. Currently, I am working as a network technician and also learning python at the same time. Thank You again.

I think you should learn how to use a Linux distro before jumping into learning Hacking. Linux itself is already a big task in itself for a beginner. You want to start with Debian-base.

@Zero and One
Suggest going with a true Debian distro like MX or an Arch based like Manjaro, but highly suggest Debian since so many distros (including all 'buntus and mint) are based on it. Look at Slackware, too, for down the road a little.
search01
search02

Thank You very much guys for your time and advice. Means a lot to a beginner like me.

if you can figure out my signature for the first two logos, those are hacking distros. just FYI

You can install LINUX [Ubuntu] on any Windows-10 laptop.
You get a bash shell, and can install a free X-Server [Xming] for graphical programs.
Just search WSL aka Windows Support for Linux.
Don't need to buy another laptop.
imagtek.com/Documents/REXinstall.txt gives details on a WSL Linux install.

Sorry, I have to chortle a bit whenever I see the phrase "true Debian", and then some other distro named in the same sentence.

Just pick some distro, install it, learn it, then you can start on your hacker journey. Along the way get a Certified Ethical Hacker certification, and then look for employment with a serious security provider, or with a security investigation agency. Otherwise, quite frankly, all you will be is just another scripter with something to prove.

In my experience Dell. If old school fun is your bag best old machine I had Thinkpad T42 - loved it.

Yep, the older Lenovo Txx laptops are good with Linux and reliable. And their on-board hardware is well supported on install.

Members online

Latest posts