which is the latest version of ubuntu ?

Ubuntu comes out twice a year, in April (.04) and October (.10). Normal issues have shorter support, therefore shorter life, but some issues are LTS (Long Term Support) which have longer support, therefore longer life. The last LTS was 14.04 (2014 April)

Latest LTS Release: 14.04 Trusty
Latest Non-LTS Release: 14.10 Trusty
Latest Alpha Build (for those wishing to live on the bleeding edge): Ubuntu Vivid Daily

Another option is Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop. I use it and I wont go back to any other and I've tried several.

Another option is Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop. I use it and I wont go back to any other and I've tried several.

Im currently on Ubuntu 14.10 and wish to try Mint, is it as user friendly as Ubuntu ?

@darrendazzler It is better to start a new thread, rather than hi-jack somebody else's...

The biggest difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is that Linux Mint comes with the non-free codecs installed. With Ubuntu you have to add the non-free codecs yourself.

You do this with the command:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

It's that hard! :rolleyes:

@darrendazzler It is better to start a new thread, rather than hi-jack somebody else's...

The biggest difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is that Linux Mint comes with the non-free codecs installed. With Ubuntu you have to add the non-free codecs yourself.

You do this with the command:

It's that hard! :rolleyes:

Thanks, can you explain what these are to a newbie like myself please :)

Members online

Latest posts