Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

which is the latest version of ubuntu ?

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by skbansal2221, Nov 6, 2014.

1. skbansal2221

skbansal2221 Guest

for home purpose ?

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

2. arochester

arochester Guest

Ubuntu comes out twice a year, in April (.04) and October (.10). Normal issues have shorter support, therefore shorter life, but some issues are LTS (Long Term Support) which have longer support, therefore longer life. The last LTS was 14.04 (2014 April)

3. Latest LTS Release: 14.04 Trusty
    Latest Non-LTS Release: 14.10 Trusty
    Latest Alpha Build (for those wishing to live on the bleeding edge): Ubuntu Vivid Daily

4. Jim Laughlan

Jim Laughlan Guest

Another option is Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop. I use it and I wont go back to any other and I've tried several.

1 person likes this.
  5. ryanvade

ryanvade Guest

Please do your own research. All of your questions have either been already answered or are easily discoverable. For example have you tried looking at the Ubuntu website?
    http://bit.ly/1u7Jb6i

1 person likes this.
  6. Im currently on Ubuntu 14.10 and wish to try Mint, is it as user friendly as Ubuntu ?

7. arochester

arochester Guest

@darrendazzler It is better to start a new thread, rather than hi-jack somebody else's...

The biggest difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is that Linux Mint comes with the non-free codecs installed. With Ubuntu you have to add the non-free codecs yourself.

You do this with the command:
    It's that hard! :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  8. Thanks, can you explain what these are to a newbie like myself please :)

9. arochester

arochester Guest

1 person likes this.