Which distro?

zupidupi

Reaction score
Credits
Hiya!

Yeah, I realize that this is a pretty classic question, especially coming for a first poster. I'm not completely unknowledgeable, though, so bear with me...!

I roughly know my way around a Linux system and have been using a few installations on and off previously. Command shells, installation and fiddling around with different settings doesn't scare me off. It's been a while, though, since my last installation.

I now have a very specific need. I'm working on a small just for fun-project, a website, doing some programming mainly in php and mysql. I've been using a Windows environment and the Atom-editor (which now is being discontinued), constantly syncing my code into the website. Now I'd like to switch to Linux, for different reasons. I'd like to setup a simple workstation with the sole purpose of editing code and testing the result in a web-browser.

So, what I basically need is a GUI-environment where I have the editor and a web-browser. I like to switch between virtual desktops. The distro should otherwise be pretty light and nimble - I'll probably install it on an older laptops (5-6 years old) not in use right now.

So, I don't need very much and I could probably install almost any distro out there. I'd basically like to know which I should choose in order to get the slimmest one.

Thx in advance for any thoughts and advices!

--m

I suggest creating a bootable usb thumb drive using Ventoy and test a few different Linux distros and see which you think will work best for you.

Keep in mind that while testing these Linux distros in a Live mode will run a bit slower than if actually installed and running on a HDD or SSD.

Posting some system specs of the computer you are wanting to use would be a help for suggestions.

I also agree...Linux Mint or Linux Lite as both are easy to use...you can install them in Virtualbox or on a Flash Drive to check them out and welcome to the Forum.
happy0035.gif

Christ. How long's a piece of string?

Virtually every Linux distro out there will do what you want. As my colleagues have said, the 'sky's the limit'. Unfortunately, this mostly boils down to some serious distro-hopping, trying out various distributions until you find one that

• your hardware "plays nice" with, and
  • you can see yourself being able to live with

At this early stage, experimentation is the name of the game. There's certainly no shortage of distros to choose from.......though some are definitely easier to live with than others, as mentioned above.

Mike. ;)

A beginner wants a Distro that's easy to use and has support...Lite and Mint have that. Who wants a difficult Distro...not me.
scared0002.gif

What really gets me...some people claim Linux Mint is a beginners Distro because it's easy to use...I like it and have been using it for 7 years...does mean I'm still a beginner. ?
mad0090.gif

Rhetorical questions need no response!

Answer to OP's question -- any one you want!

OP -- you're at the fun stage where one learns how easy it is to install/reinstall, configure fstab and sources.list, partition and see which DE or WM you favor. Enjoy!

I concur with those recommending LinuxLite, however.

A 5 yr old laptop is not old when it comes to Linux, It should be capable of running any Linux distribution you fancy, as suggested above, download and try a few "live" from a pendrive

Well Puppy, PeppermintOS, Antix - do some research - There is some good choices out there - good luck,

Thanks to everybody for good, encouraging answers! I think I'll just run headfirst into one of the distros suggested...lite or mint both seem like good starters. As I said, I just quickly want to get down to continuing developing the website.

bw,

Mike

Hello @zupidupi,
Welcome to the Linuxl.org forums.
You won't go wrong with either of the recommended Distros. Enjoy The journey! :)

Members online

Latest posts