Which Distro Suits Me Best (on an iMac)

NewInLinux

Reaction score
Credits
I am new. I am considering creating a partition on Linux. I have many questions. I paste them below I have an iMac (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GetForce GT 750M 1024 MB graphics, OS X 10.9.5 software). I have 577.56 GB free. I already have a Windows partition via Bootcamp and would like to create a Linux partition. I need word processor, VSCode, Design programs. I have a Wacom tablet. Compatibility? Will generic drivers work for me? Will the wireless keyboard and mouse work? How are software updates and downloads performed? Do they use a secure environment? Taking all this into account, what would be the most appropriate distribution for me? I write here because in the forum I don't see the way to add my query. Thank you very much in advance. All the best.

Last edited:

English please.

Last edited:
Newbie.
Wacom tablet
Wants distro with touchscreen
Very polite

From what I can deduce the O.P is on a Mac ; which to my limited knowledge has different hardware and uses
as the Op said : OS X 10.9.5 . Funny enough there was a post about a linux Os that might be a fit for macs : https://asahilinux.org

In terms of wacom my daughter is Arty and will at some point want a wacom tablet. i noticed the latest Slackware 15 has support for wacom, Arch Linux definately does and Debian has wacom packages .

[De lo que puedo deducir, el OP está en una Mac; que, según mi limitado conocimiento, tiene diferentes hardware y usos

como dijo el Op: OS X 10.9.5 . Curiosamente, hubo una publicación sobre un sistema operativo Linux que podría ser adecuado para Mac : https://asahilinux.org

En términos de wacom, mi hija es artística y en algún momento querrá una tableta wacom. noté que el último Slackware 15 tiene soporte para wacom, Arch Linux definitivamente lo tiene y Debian tiene paquetes wacom]

Welcome to the forums
the best Linux for you is the one you like the look and feel of and runs on your equipment [there are over 1000 different builds but if you stick to trying 6 or 7 from the Distro watch top ten you won't go far wrong], Mac's can cause installation problems due to the brands of hardware they use, but there are usually workarounds for such problems.
As said before this is an English language site, if you feel uncomfortable with English then please use a Translator, I recommend

@KGIII @wizardfromoz @Rob Would it be possible for mods to start deleting topics that aren't in English, I know of a few non-English members that do take the time to use a translator. I have more respect for those people than those who start posting in another language knowing that it is an English forum based on the forum categorie section names.

Apparently we now have a built in translator !?

Not that I'm aware of. Where are you seeing that?

Your browser may offer to translate, depending on which browser you use. I think Brave does, which is what I think you use.

I'm not seeing any new features, or any new translator. I could be missing it somehow.

In my previous post (since deleted) I typed in the words 'google translate' and then inserted a link from the google translate page.

This had the effect of auto translating the page from Spanish to English.

Very nifty, but not what I intended at all !!

Brave browser does have such a setting....but the only time I have had it offer to translate is when I have deepl's translator installed as an extension. (which at the moment I don't

If we can't understand...we can't help...so in English please and Welcome to the Forum.
happy0035.gif

In my previous post (since deleted) I typed in the words 'google translate' and then inserted a link from the google translate page.

Neat. I haven't seen that one. XenForo is pretty neat at incorporating things from links. I use it elsewhere, where people embed a lot of links, and it even embeds full image albums.

@NewInLinux -- please use English as said before. That will ensure more helpful comments and more users inclined to help. I am from Spain and I understand what you posted, but it's not right to leave messages in Spanish when you see that all the forum messages (every one of them) are in English.

I had a Macbook Pro Retina 13", mid 2014, which I think it would be more or less the same era as your iMac.

I used with success Elementary and Ubuntu (use x86-64 variants) on that Mac, and either of them will work for you. However, I had the following issues, that I believe you will have, and you will have to troubleshoot them:
  • Have a wired network connection handy. Do not rely on the wifi to work at first attempt --it didn't work for me back then. You will have to research a bit what driver you need, and then locate what package the driver is provided by, and then install it for the WiFi to work.
  • The Facetime? camera didn't work by default. I remember I had to compile a driver from source, but don't have any notes from that one.
  • You will need the nvidia drivers for your card.
The above means that you will need a DVD ISO image with all non-free drivers included, but that doesn't mean everything will be already there for you except maybe the NVidia drivers.

Regarding the wireless devices, I have never had issues with bluetooth mice, but also, never tried the apple wireless devices. I bet they will work, but don't know.

Regarding the secure downloads for the software, yes, all (decent) distributions secure their package repositories not only by HTTPS connections, but also digitally signing all the packages. On the other hand, if you download a package from other sources, you must verify the signature and the checksums yourself.

Last edited:
@KGIII @wizardfromoz @Rob Would it be possible for mods to start deleting topics that aren't in English, I know of a few non-English members that do take the time to use a translator. I have more respect for those people than those who start posting in another language knowing that it is an English forum based on the forum categorie section names.
Well i translated the post and the OP didn't. That' s basically sometimes giving the benefit of the doubt or having a generosity of spirt. Also sometimes the Op badly translates it; at least if we get both I have the option to get the facts straight from the horse's mouth and translate it accurately myself. But your post involves a few layers. One you have made a judgement and an insult to me. Since you have not been courteous to me, i don't have to be to you. Quite frankly what you, or who respect i'm not in the least bothered. Obviously you have a narcissistic element;if you want to express your fascism then you should become a moderator, but either this site would not last long or it would become like linuxquestions.org. It only cements my thinking that Nerds should never manage anything.

Well i translated the post and the OP didn't. That' s basically sometimes giving the benefit of the doubt or having a generosity of spirt.
That is generous of you but I don't agree that members here should be translating posts because this is not a translation forum, I find if someone wants to get help they should at least put some effort into making their posts in English if they expect to receive any help at all.

English please.
I am new. I am considering creating a partition on Linux. I have many questions. I paste them below I have an iMac (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GetForce GT 750M 1024 MB graphics, OS X 10.9.5 software). I have 577.56 GB free. I already have a Windows partition via Bootcamp and would like to create a Linux partition. I need word processor, VSCode, Design programs. I have a Wacom tablet. Compatibility? Will generic drivers work for me? Will the wireless keyboard and mouse work? How are software updates and downloads performed? Do they use a secure environment? Taking all this into account, what would be the most appropriate distribution for me? I write here because in the forum I don't see the way to add my query. Thank you very much in advance. All the best.

Good morning. This is a reply for all of you. I apologise for not writing in English from the very beginning. Now you have the English version. Could we start again? As I said:

@NewInLinux -- please use English as said before. That will ensure more helpful comments and more users inclined to help. I am from Spain and I understand what you posted, but it's not right to leave messages in Spanish when you see that all the forum messages (every one of them) are in English.

I had a Macbook Pro Retina 13", mid 2014, which I think it would be more or less the same era as your iMac.

I used with success Elementary and Ubuntu (use x86-64 variants) on that Mac, and either of them will work for you. However, I had the following issues, that I believe you will have, and you will have to troubleshoot them:
  • Have a wired network connection handy. Do not rely on the wifi to work at first attempt --it didn't work for me back then. You will have to research a bit what driver you need, and then locate what package the driver is provided by, and then install it for the WiFi to work.
  • The Facetime? camera didn't work by default. I remember I had to compile a driver from source, but don't have any notes from that one.
The above means that you will need a DVD ISO image with all non-free drivers included, but that doesn't mean everything will be already there for you except maybe the NVidia drivers.

Regarding the wireless devices, I have never had issues with bluetooth mice, but also, never tried the apple wireless devices. I bet they will work, but don't know.

Regarding the secure downloads for the software, yes, all (decent) distributions secure their package repositories not only by HTTPS connections, but also digitally signing all the packages. On the other hand, if you download a package from other sources, you must verify the signature and the checksums yourself.
Hi. Well, I cannot remember now, but I think I read something about a distro which comes with Nvidia drivers.

From what I can deduce the O.P is on a Mac ; which to my limited knowledge has different hardware and uses
as the Op said : OS X 10.9.5 . Funny enough there was a post about a linux Os that might be a fit for macs : https://asahilinux.org

In terms of wacom my daughter is Arty and will at some point want a wacom tablet. i noticed the latest Slackware 15 has support for wacom, Arch Linux definately does and Debian has wacom packages .

[De lo que puedo deducir, el OP está en una Mac; que, según mi limitado conocimiento, tiene diferentes hardware y usos

como dijo el Op: OS X 10.9.5 . Curiosamente, hubo una publicación sobre un sistema operativo Linux que podría ser adecuado para Mac : https://asahilinux.org

En términos de wacom, mi hija es artística y en algún momento querrá una tableta wacom. noté que el último Slackware 15 tiene soporte para wacom, Arch Linux definitivamente lo tiene y Debian tiene paquetes wacom]
Ok. My Mac is not silicon but Intel

Could I have the ISO image in a pendrive? Nowadays almost no body has a DVD device