Which Distro Should I Use?

ColaMan

Reaction score
Credits
I'm looking for a Distro that's fast but also similar to Windows

G'day, Welcome to Linux.org

Why exactly would you wish for it to be similar to Windows??

Linux Mint 20.3 is fast...particularly with the xfce desktop.......the cinnamon desktop is also fast but has more under the bonnet.

You need to tell us what you will be running it on. As much detail as you can.

MX linux is a nice distro, Linux Lite also.
There are so many choices, sometimes depends on the hardware in your computer.
Maybe tell us what computer your using, and what you mainly want to
do, some distros lean towards different user cases, most are quite generic though and can be set up to achieve almost anything you like,
but being new to Linux its best to go with something that requires less input effort and know how.
Youtube will show you what any given distro will look like,
try the ones that have a trial built in, when you flash them to a usb
stick you will find out if the mouse keyboard and wifi will work, before you install them, ear mark the ones that connect to wifi and you like the look of, try a few this way, then decide.

whichever distribution you try, you will have to go through a learning curve, with over 500 distributions what is right for any member of this forums may not be right for you, it depends on your equipment [age & specification] your intended use, [home, office, gaming, science etc] and how much you are willing to learn

Last edited:
Cinnamon desktop is similar to Windows, actually is better, simpler and good looking. I don't recommend xfce desktop for windows users because it has several trade offs in functionality and appearance for some speed

whichever distribution you try, you will have to go through a learning curve, with over 500 distributions what is right for any member of this forums may not be right for you, it depends on your equipment [age & specification] your intended use, [home, office, gaming, science etc] and how much you are willing to learn

Best answer yet.

Hello @ColaMan,
Welcome to Linux.org forums. You'll get plenty of advice here.
As to which distro is best for your situation Take a look at these pages and make up your own mind.
As only you can truely choose which one works for your work flow and machine.

I usually tell people to try several of the Live Distros on usb sticks and pick the one that suit your situation the best. If you want something that is reminiscent of windows try a distro with Cinnamon or KDE desktop.
Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a Distro that's fast but also similar to Windows
Want similar to Windows here ya go.

I installed Twister OS ARM version on a Raspberry Pi,
it sure has a lot of features, mac and windows desktop
layouts of different flavours.

I also like KDE Plasma, have it installed on another
Raspberry Pi on top of Raspberry OS.
KDE Plasma is also available for Pc and Laptop users.

Members online

Latest posts