Which distro should I take?

Matt XLII

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everybody!

I'm here for a simple reason, I bought a New laptop which isn't a warmachine and it comes with the devil also known as Windows 10...

The cpu is an AMD A8-7410 (quadcore 2,2 to 2,5 ghz)
The gpu is a R7 M440
And the ram is 12go

When I check the materials the computer should be working Well but I find it pretty slow and I want to try something else maybe lighter than the devilish OS...

That's why I was wondering which Linux distro could be worth trying.

I'm not a computer newbie but not a killer either.

Finally I mostly play indie games so compatibility won't be a problem.

The final question is: Which distro suit the Best to someone Who want to play a bit but also want a lighter os That doesn't slow his computer?
I checked Ubuntu, Antergos but without

Thanks for reading I hope you'll find an answer!

Welcome to the forums.

Everybody's answer will be different to this. I'd go to distrowatch and live boot different distros see which one works with your hardware.

I've tried Puppy, Debiandog, Porteous, Salix, Antix, Linuxbbq, Devuan and Refracta.

http://distrowatch.com/

Welcome aboard, mate! I agree with Darry1966. The best distro for you is the one you try and like the most, and distrowatch is a great place to start. That is the great thing about being able to try before installing with most distros. Some have special purposes, while most are fully set up with all the extra dodads you must pay extra for on the devil OS (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.)

On some sites your question would start a flame war:( between die hard followers of different distros, but this site is more laid back. We generally don't have that problem here.:cool: We prefer to assist, and have fun.:)

Let the journey begin, and don't be afraid to ask questions.:D:D

happy trails,
Paul

Hi Matt! I agree with both of these guys... try some stuff out and see what appeals to you. Your hardware really should run about anything with little or no troubles (maybe need a video driver for better performance but will probably run as is too).

I look at Linux distros as being a lot like cars... you have to test drive them for yourself to see if they meet your needs. Some may be a little quicker, some a little slower, some a little more decked out... but you'll find many with more appeal than Windows, I think, and you'll learn a bit more about how versatile Linux is by trying out several.

Cheers!

You may also find yourself using more than 1 distro at the same time, as your interests change. For example, I use Puppy, Mint Cinnamon, Linux Lite, and Slackware, each on its own drive. I have a DVD writer, and 3 drive caddies sticking out of the front of "The Lab". It looks like the Mutant computer from mars:D:D. I just pick a distro, slap it in, Fire in the hole!

Happy trails
Paul

Hi Matt! I agree with both of these guys... try some stuff out and see what appeals to you. Your hardware really should run about anything with little or no troubles (maybe need a video driver for better performance but will probably run as is too).

I look at Linux distros as being a lot like cars... you have to test drive them for yourself to see if they meet your needs. Some may be a little quicker, some a little slower, some a little more decked out... but you'll find many with more appeal than Windows, I think, and you'll learn a bit more about how versatile Linux is by trying out several.

Cheers!
Yeah, kick the tires!:p

Hi Matt XLII and welcome :)

I am right behind the advocacy of using Distrowatch as a barometer, it is pinned on the Firefox in each and every one of my Distributions.

Distrowatch themselves make the disclaimer that their Page Hit Rankings are not the be all and end all for accuracy, but if it can be taken that the hits themselves would generate a reasonably high conversion rate to download and install ... then it is as good as any.

Any Distro that features in their Top 100 is likely to have a good foundation of support, and that is important, I think, even above popularity. But I can also vouch for the fact that there are gems to be uncovered even in the "second" 100, that is, up to 200.

Enjoy Linux, I do ... multiplied by 70, usually, lol.

Wizard

Last edited:
Since you're just getting started, you may want to stick with one of the distros that make it pretty easy to get around like Fedora, Ubuntu or Mint. You can download them from our download page (https://www.linux.org/pages/download/). Each should have an option to boot and run off a usb flash drive so you can test them out before actually installing em.

Good luck!

Members online