Which Distribution?

G

Grahf

Hi! I'm new to the strange (to me) world of Linux. I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a PC I just built that I intended to use as an HTPC. Since playing around with Ubuntu I've become very curious and watched youtube videos on Xubuntu, Mint, Peppermint, Ubuntu Gnome, etc. And it's driving me crazy. Which should I use? I don't have any problems with Ubuntu but everyone seems to be screaming "Get Peppermint" and I love how Xubuntu looks.

My original intent was to have this computer to play Kodi, Emulators, and some games but now I want to see what I can do with Linux.... Which distro should I use? Any recommendations (and why) would be greatly appreciated.

Xubuntu would be a great start. There are many live distros try them out and see what works for you.

Xubuntu would be a great start. There are many live distros try them out and see what works for you.

I know I'm so overwhelmed LOL.
The thing I don't understand is why does every YouTube video rave about peppermint? I can't stand the way it looks. But every YouTube video sats its so fast, has good software packaged, i dont know...

There are LOTS of people who will tell you to use X distro or Y distro.

The RIGHT distro is the one YOU like and which suits YOUR computer. Only YOU know that.

Load Xubuntu. You can TRY Peppermint by using a LiveCD, or by putting it on a USB stick.If you find you like it you can install it to your Hard Drive.

I am personally a fan of the vanilla ubuntu distro, not because of it's ease of use, but the fact that I don't find myself customizing it every two seconds (although that's usually the point of those other distros). For me, stability is more important than cutting-edge, which is why I don't usually use the latest stuff.
When I first started using Linux, it didn't matter as much which distribution you chose, because there weren't nearly as many.

Now, back on topic :D. To be honest, it doesn't matter (to some extent) what distro you end up using. As long as you can handle looking at the same user interface every day for the life of your project. What I'm saying is, don't pick a distro that might look good for the moment that might loose its cool after a couple of uses (for me, that was gnome).

If you feel like exploring, you can look at DistroWatch, which has a large database of the latest linux distributions.

Good luck on your search!

Thank you for the info jerz4lunch, arochester, and Darren Hale. I just downloaded four distros (mint, peppermint, kubuntu, and ubuntu mate). I think I'm going to put each one on a USB stick and play with each one for a little bit and see what I think.

Well I love how Xubuntu looks and feels. Too bad the text under desktop icons shifts to the left of the icon every time I change the appearance style....

Staff online