Which command is lying ?

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
Is this bug or "user error " - am I using wrong dpkg option ?
I am having a issues with verifying if the package is actually installed - using commands.
I have been told that dpkg will report package which is no longer installed and functioning - from archive.
That is not what I expect.

As a side note - I need to find out what "desired" means.

Code:
jim@jim-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -p bluez
[sudo] password for jim:
dpkg-query: package 'bluez' is not available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

jim@jim-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --info bluez
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive 'bluez': No such file or directory
jim@jim-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -l "bluez"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  bluez          5.37-0ubuntu amd64        Bluetooth tools and daemons

Used that, it just confirms what I already know then version 5.50 or 5.48 is not installed.
The question is - even when new version is installed this (_s) command is for plain "bluez" and as far as I can tell it is not version specific.
Yes - dpkg is nice , but still does not answer the OP.

I do not wonder at all.
I am getting used to "there is more than one way to skin a cat".
"snap interfaces" tells very little, not even the version and where package parts are installed.

I am sure some will find this "critical" , but from experience -
anything positive will seldom be praised - no need to,
however "negative" needs to be known so it can be , eventually , corrected.

I switched to Linux about five years ago and find the "open source" concept lacking control.
Especially with current "version" experience with "bluez".

It is nice and should be appreciated that people compile and publish versions for specific architecture , but they all SEEMS to use the same, original README / INSTALL files which are very generic, outdated and actually misleading.

I have been writing code since 197x and was taught and actually learn very early that comments in code are more important than code itself. And I believe instructions are in same category.
Somehow most Linux stuff seems to be written with "job security" in mind and not to aid others to really utilize "open source " concept.

Sorry for the rant.
Off my soap box for now...

jim@jim-desktop:~$ snap interfaces | grep blue
bluez:service -
:bluetooth-control -
:bluez -
:home bluez
:uhid bluez
- bluez:bluetooth-control
- bluez:client
- bluez:network-control

Off my soap box for now.......
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

...snip...
I have been writing code since 197x and was taught and actually learn very early that comments in code are more important than code itself. And I believe instructions are in same category.
Somehow most Linux stuff seems to be written with "job security" in mind and not to aid others to really utilize "open source " concept.

I have no 'evidence' for this statement - but - I think a good deal of 'open source' code gets written for the sheer joy of it.
To satisfy a creative urge. Writing documentation probably turns it into something almost like work :\

I totally understand the sentiment though.

I was contributing to one of the OP's other Threads moments ago, with this

https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-usr-local-folders-silly-question.22630/#post-66684

That can just as easily be applied to this issue.

With Distros I install that feature a Welcome screen with links, or icons on the Desktop likewise, I always leave them handy, or with Welcome "show at startup". In that way, if I feel I have something to contribute, or questions to ask, I can fast-track there and provide my input.

That in no way detracts from a good rant, we have a pretty laissez-faire approach to free thought here, and we learn more about each other, which leads to collaboration.

Brian (@Condobloke ) is one of a number of our good ranters, ain't you, Mate? :)

So we are laughing with you, not at you.

Cheers

Wizard

Moi ??....rant ?....did someone mention win 10 ??>..!!!....No...ok....I will withdraw...for now

am I using wrong dpkg option ?

Perhaps you are. The man page for "dpkg -p" recommends instead to use apt-cache show. On my system, that shows version number, and much more, about the installed bluez package. Sudo not needed.

Code:
apt-cache show bluez

Cheers

In response to the rant :) I've been coding since 2011. I know it's necessary to do the comments, and agree with the README/INSTALL notes. However, I can say that there have been many times where I didn't do such a good job there and that's because I created/added this really cool feature that's been giving me so much trouble getting to work and I really really wanted to get it out there so others could see it. And I neglected to go back and update those things. I don't think anyone in the Linux community writes code for job security, don't quote me on that though ;). I think many people in the open source community do it because they love it and many do it without pay as a hobby rather than their job.

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

FYI, I wasn't saying it was acceptable, just that I understood. But you're right, it's not done till it's done right.

Members online