where is C:// and F://?

dotKer

Reaction score
Credits
I have today installed Xubuntu 32bit in my computer which is somewhat old.
I like to see the hard drive(C://) and usb drive(F://) in Xubuntu.
How can I see them?

If you have installed Linux and used the whole hard drive then you will no longer see C:// and F://

C:// and F:// are Microsoft Windows terms, not Linux terms.

Use your "File Manager", whichever one you use.

In Linux the terms are probably sda and sdb.

You might look at this: https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Reactions: Rob
if I power on the computer, The first screen is coming after some time.

The firest screen has 4 icons like the following(they are translation from my mother tongue "Korean" to English.
(1) xubuntu18_
(2)trash
(3)file system
(4)my folder

if I click the icons, each address is appeared in the address bar like the following.

(1) xubuntu18_ " /media/dotKer/XUBUNTU 18_/"
(2)trash "trash:///"
(3)file system "/"
(4)my folder "/home/dotKer/"

Where can I find the sdb, ie USB drive?

Does your computer have a make and model?
Or, can you give some basic specs?
How much RAM have you got?

Where can I find the sdb, ie USB drive?
(1) xubuntu18_ " /media/dotKer/XUBUNTU 18_/"
This is your USB drive. If you have installed Xubuntu to your hard drive, you can right-click with your mouse on that icon (xubuntu18_) and choose "Safely remove drive" or "Eject"... and it will usually disappear from your screen. It is then safe to unplug your USB. With Linux, you should always follow these steps to remove a USB safely, or else you could lose data.

When you later plug your USB drive back in, you will see it reappear on your desktop screen. Xubuntu will automatically "mount" the drive so you can see its contents (if you double-click it, or look with your file manager). The USB does have a designation like /dev/sdb (or sdc, sdd, sdf, etc)... but this process of automatically mounting it also shows it at /media/dotKer/XUBUNTU18_ as you see now. A different USB will show a different name or a serial number, like /media/dotKer/3452-A4G3.

Cheers

arochester

can you give some basic specs?
How much RAM have you got?
pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU
RAM : 2.00GB
32bit

Thank you, atanere
I did unplug the USB in safe

I have another question.
if I unplug the USB while the Xubuntu computer is off, ie, power off,
is it safe?

I have another question.
if I unplug the USB while the Xubuntu computer is off, ie, power off,
is it safe?
Yes, you should be okay... at least most of the time. The reason you want to safely remove the drive is that Linux handles writing data to a USB differently than Windows. With Windows, if you copy a file to USB, when the copy is finished you can just yank the USB out of the computer... Windows was really finished. Linux often does NOT really finish... when you tell it to copy a file to USB, it acts like it is done... but actually a lot of the data may still be holding in RAM waiting to finish. So, when you tell it to safely remove the drive, then the RAM is flushed and the copy completes before you remove the drive. Otherwise, if you remove it too soon, the copy of data may be incomplete.

This is one of the very, very few things that I think Windows does better. But Linux has behaved this way forever, so do not expect it to change anytime soon. You just have to remember to safely remove the drive before you physically unplug it from the computer.

If you were copying a lot of files to a USB, and then powered off the computer before the copy was complete, you might still have a problem like described above. So it is still better to safely remove the drive before powering off. But once you have powered off... it doesn't matter much at that point, so you might as well unplug the drive. But you might consider taking a look to make sure it is okay when you boot the computer next time.

Cheers

Staff online

Members online