Where in hell did I see/put that file/pic....etc

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
So....you have a pic of your favourite grandson/bike/car/ or a file containing some important info......or you have seen a location somewhere on a website (and you wish to look at your pc's location)....ETC ETC

Enter ANGRYsearch

https://itsfoss.com/angrysearch/

Quick Search GUI Tool for Linux

ANGRYsearch is a Python-based application that delivers results as you type your search query. The overall idea and design of the application are both inspired by Everything a search tool for Windows. (I discovered Everything ad couple of years ago and install it wherever I use Windows.)

Installing ANGRYsearch on Linux
ANGRYsearch is available in the Arch User Repository. It has also been packaged for Fedora and openSUSE.

To install on other distros, follow these instructions. Instructions are written for a Debian or Ubuntu based system.

etc...read the info at the LINK

(you can easily ignore any directories that you don't need included in your scan)

It is simple and easy as pie to follow.

If a hdd or ssd is mounted....it will include the contents of that drive in your search.......Mine initially included all my Timeshift snapshots which are on a separate hdd.....quite handy to establish what is there and what is not there perhaps ?....and MANY other uses, I am sure

This a brilliant search tool. It attracted my attention because I used to use the 'Everything' app (put up on windows. It was the best thing about windows.....ANGRYsearch is based on Everything.

Install it and use it....you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Sounds great, Brian, thanks for sharing and I will check it out.

Interestingly enough, Google

alternative to everything

... and it shows here

https://alternativeto.net/software/everything/

... But currently at the bottom of the page. Maybe we can bump it?

Wiz

Sounds good as an idea but the lack of a 'deb' package is a serious downside, considering compiling from source almost never works, regardless of whether or not I have all the required libs for the compiling process.

Think ahead, Rado :)

One of the links Brian provided is to here

https://software.opensuse.org/package/angrysearch

.rpm packages are available now for openSUSE and Fedora, eminently easy to install.

That means .deb will likely follow before long.

If not, I have had success converting .deb to .rpm and vice versa using Alien. It is how I run one of my old Dell printers, amongst other successes.

Maybe don't be so quick to pooh-pooh something you have not tried yet?

Cheers all

Wizard

I have installed on Linux Mint 18.3 (Cinnamon) using the install procedure on the Linked page

Doesn't get any simpler,,,probably absorbed less than 6 minutes of my time.

Now that is the same Distro that Rado uses, worth noting.

Wizard

Yes, well worth noting

Still wouldn't install. I'd rather stick with mlocate. Works flawlessly and with the command > file.txt I can save the results in a text file.

Members online

Latest posts