• Middle East

• Asia

• Africa

• Australia

Results are only viewable after voting.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
You can be more specific in the comments or just vote. I hope I don't abuse of the poll function, I just wonder where are you guys from

Last edited:

LOL Another poll...

This is usually disclosed in member intros, or through conversation, if the user cares to share. In my case, I'm in Maine, USA. I think three of us come from Maine, but I'm the one that's inland - up in the mountains, surrounded by ski slopes. (I'm as few as 25 minutes to one ski slope and 45 minutes from 2 world-class slopes.)

Maine has some great variance in geography/geology. The mountains I am in aren't pointy, as they've been eroded by centuries of ice age. So, they're wizened mountains instead of the great majestic mountains you see in the Rockies.

I'm extremely remote by anyone here's standards. I live in an unincorporated township. There are fewer than a dozen residences with year-round occupants. There are no municipal services - except a State road that gets maintained by the State of Maine. There's no fire department, no local police, no post office, no stores (except a farm stand, which is a long topic for another day), no local regulations, and no local taxes.

If you want to live here, you will need to maintain your own road - unless your driveway dumps into the State road. You'll be an hour away from a hospital - and 30+ minutes before you can expect a response from police, fire, or EMTs. In reality, unless you drive yourself, you're a couple of hours before you get to a hospital.

There's a lovely village nearby that's mostly a tourist destination. The population is maybe 1,000 people, but in the summer they'll have more than 10x that amount on a busy weekend. It's a true four season destination, with the ski slope being open again, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, skiing of all types, ice fishing derbies, winter festivals, logging festivals, etc...

Still, there are a lot of seasonal jobs and the actual population isn't nearly as wealthy as one might think. They make do and they work hard. Not only do they work hard, they work in all types of weather conditions. You may live in an area where things shut down when it snows. If we did that, we'd have some serious problems as it sometimes snows for a week or more. Yes, they work when it's below freezing, though once it goes into the negatives people tend to spend more time inside.

Also, the days get really short. Our shortest day is like 8h 45m long. The sun never gets higher than maybe a 30° angle. If you're prone to SAD, you might want to invest in full-spectrum lights. Also, our power grid is prone to outages. Like, seriously prone to outages. I have solar and wind, not because I'm a filthy hippie but because I like modern conveniences. Still, the 'net goes out with some regularity - and we're too remote to get a solid cell phone signal.

I could go on, but I've been pretty much everywhere and this is where I chose to live and retire. If I wasn't retired, I'd sure as hell not live here. The job market sucks, your opportunities are few without money, and it's pretty expensive - while requiring all sorts of stamina and skills to remain comfortable.

See?

That's what doesn't fit in a poll.

@slowlearning , G'day, better is to also mention where you are from, you did not in your Member Introduction.

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Wiz

I am a frenchman. I dont know if we are a lot on this forum but i feel like french people are really involved in the whole "more liberty" part of the open source community. Maybe it's our grumpy culture.

@slowlearning , G'day, better is to also mention where you are from, you did not in your Member Introduction.

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Wiz
Of course I do, My IP says everything to the mods, but to be more specific for everyone: I live in an eastern European city of some millions and I also have a house in a remote hill by the sea, inside a pine tree forest. Like KGIII I plan to retire there.

Last edited:
I live in an eastern European city of some millions and I also have a house in a remote hill by the sea, inside a pine tree forest.
I live in a house in the middle of a city.

That narrows it down however if you're willing to look it says where I'm at.

I'm easy to find.

I am a kentish man [family can be traced back to the mid 12th century] Now living in exile in East Anglia , UK

I live in an eastern European city of some millions and I also have a house in a remote hill by the sea, inside a pine tree forest.
I live in a house in the middle of a city.

That narrows it down however if you're willing to look it says where I'm at.

I'm easy to find.

The link below tells my location post #45 if ya really want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
if ya really want to know.
I do and thank you. Yet the things we write on the internet stay there... that's why I usually avoid to be specific with identifying information, i don't know if say 10 years from now I will still want my address published on the internet... I'm just not sure, hence the very general poll choices

One would play hell finding where I'm actually located although I'm within the given proximity.

No, not really... I'd just watch and learn what you're into and then find something you want - perhaps a few sticks of free RAM that I have left-over, and I'd offer to mail them to you.

Tada! I'd have your address.

But, to be fair, I don't actually want your address and have no need for it - unless, of course, I had something you needed.

No, not really... I'd just watch and learn what you're into and then find something you want - perhaps a few sticks of free RAM that I have left-over, and I'd offer to mail them to you.

Tada! I'd have your address.
Good Try.

Nope you'd have a P.O. Box and that's all.

LOL Well then I could just camp out watching the post office carefully.

I wouldn't tell you, but I'd make the packaging distinguishable so that I'd see who walked out with it.

Of course, now you know these things - making them slightly less useful for you specifically, but 'social engineering' is the greatest hack itself.

Members online

Latest posts