When was your first touch of Linux?

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
Mine was 8 or 9 years ago when Ubuntu 10.10 was still a fresh new release. Back then I was a member of the Bill Gates' satanic sect. A forum admin suggested that I tried Linux. And I did, starting with Ubuntu 10.10. Tried many different distros but almost all of them had one major problem - showing my main drive (where my music and files are located) as a "Picture CD" and thus I was unable to write on that drive. No possible solutions seemed to help, so I returned to Ubuntu. Sadly, it took me about 6 years to track the problem down and fix it myself cuz nobody seemed to know a way to get rid of it. It turned out this problem was caused by a plugin contained within Brasero and Pix which displayed my drive as a picture cd because there was a "Pictures" directory on it (gee, what a dumb logic). One that could not be disabled or uninstalled. So in 2016 I installed a Mint version as a secondary boot and decided to try and uninstall Brasero. And a miracle - after that the drive in question was fully accessible. I can't miss to mention the feeling was awesome - I managed to fix a problem that nobody else knew how to fix! That was the moment when Windows started losing the battle and shortly after that I swapped the places of the 2 operating systems - Linux Mint went on the SSD where Windows was and Windows went on the slow HDD. And about 2 weeks ago when I managed to run GTA 5 using Steam's Proton, I kicked Windows' arse, so now I'm single booting of just Linux Mint.

My first Touch with Linux was when I met some hacker in school wich disturbed school PCs with a Kali USB drive a year ago. I found the idea to run an os from an usb-drive awsome because I had Windows XP on My labtop and i'm Not allowed to delete it. The hacker told me I should try ubuntu. So I first made a Ubuntu live USB and I installed it on another usb-drive. Now I hopped over to dabian and the to arch.

My first Touch with Linux was when I met some hacker in school wich disturbed school PCs with a Kali USB drive a year ago. I found the idea to run an os from an usb-drive awsome because I had Windows XP on My labtop and i'm Not allowed to delete it. The hacker told me I should try ubuntu. So I first made a Ubuntu live USB and I installed it on another usb-drive. Now I hopped over to dabian and the to arch.
We may be going to a bit of an offtopic here but I gotta ask - how come you're not allowed to get rid of Windows? Who forbids you that and why?

But I have a newer PC now and installed arch on harddrive.

Paul has a barely concealed drool at the thought of finding another Slackware user :)

For me - 2002 received 3 CDs of Mandrake Linux in the mail, didn't know what to do with them, so put them in a safe spot ... they should turn up any day now.

2010/2011 got a cover CD on a PC mag which featured a respin on Ubuntu 11 without the Unity DE. Liked the maroon background, but could not work out how to populate it with apps.

2012 installed Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise Pangolin' alongside Windows XP - actually within XP, using the WUBI method.

2014 blew away Windows 7 to run a triple boot of Ubuntu 14.04 'Trusty Tahr', Linux MInt 17 'Qiana' MATE, and Zorin OS9.

Haven't looked back.

Wizard

No that's "Ultimate", Paul, the brothers Zorin have been doing some retailing for years.

Go to the bottom of the page and get "Core" for zero Euros.

Wiz

I installed Red Hat Linux v4.1 in early 1997.

It was an old PC that sat on a wobbly TV tray table with no room for a mouse. But no problem, I was mainly using bash.

By 2002 my confidence had grown to the point that I used Mandrake Linux both at home and on my main PC at work.

No, ubuntu and freenas is what i use these days. Still check the slackware web Pages every now and then .
:)
It has come a very long way since then.:D I currently use 14.2. But I also have Puppy, Mint Cinnamon, light, .... I use individual drives in caddies so that I can use up the stack of old IDE drives that I have collected over the years. I stack the caddies next to the computer (The Lab). If a drive should crash on me, I slap another one in and "Fire in the hole"! The only problem is that I spend a lot of time updating the individual drives. My first experience was with a very old version of Red Hat. It came on a multiple cd set which I believe was put out by Walnut Creek. As I recall it used the gnome desktop.

Happy Trails,
Paul

The first time was about 2010. I booted Linux Mint on an Acer Laptop and loved it. Right after that I purchased a computer from Think Penguin and must have loaded over 20 different Linux OS that year. Loved every minute. Now using Antergos and starting to re boot old computers with Arch.

BIG like (mine) - and welcome to linux.org :)

I run about 90 Linux, and a dozen or more are Arch-based, including Antergos, have Arch itself only on a VM running under Swagarch.

If you get time, swing over to https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/ , say Hi and meet a few of the gang, and tell us more of the Xzoma story. We can "gasbag" there all we want without going off-topic, lol.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Ubuntu 14.04 based Zorin OS 9, was my first Linux experience(very easy to use), then in February this year Debian 9 based Q40S, later Debian 9 netinstall that didn't work.

I am back with Lubuntu 18.04 now. Doesn't it come with a pacifier?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts