When people ask why you use Linux over Windows,Mac,and Chrome OS what do you tell them?

I have already answered this question, actually...

See? Writing these articles ends up saving me time.

I have already answered this question, actually...

See? Writing these articles ends up saving me time.
Kg I never knew you had your own site full of linux tips. That’s awesome , I will have to addd it to my linux learning resources thread!

Kg I never knew you had your own site full of linux tips. That’s awesome , I will have to addd it to my linux learning resources thread!

Really? I post links here every other day. (Literally, every other day, 'cause that's my publication schedule.) Heck, I'm pretty sure you've commented in a few of those threads! LOL

Yeah, it's a year-long project that's going to almost certainly last longer than a year.

Really? I post links here every other day. (Literally, every other day, 'cause that's my publication schedule.) Heck, I'm pretty sure you've commented in a few of those threads! LOL

Yeah, it's a year-long project that's going to almost certainly last longer than a year.
yeah i read many of your articles i jsut never realised you authored the whole website. thats awesome!

yeah i read many of your articles i jsut never realised you authored the whole website. thats awesome!

To be fair, I have had some awesome guest articles.

I still have a few more that I need to schedule in after editing. I'm saving them until I have a crisis of some type or want a few days off.

Also, if you're ever inclined to write an article, don't hesitate to ask! I do all the heavy lifting, usually. It's actually easier if you do all that formatting and editing, but it's usually me that does it.

And, when I'm submitting articles to *my* site, they usually start with something like, "Today's article is about ____" or similar.

I forgot to add that stuff to my previous post and it's too late to edit it.

I'm running Linux on machines that were orphaned by Microsoft's Draconian Windows 11 hardware requirements. I started with Microsoft way back in 1982 when I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation on a machine running DOS 2 with MS-Word (pre-laser printer). Even so, I despise Microsoft's founder. I despise Microsoft's mediocrity. I despise their fickle changes to the Windows O/S. And now, in typical Stalinesque fashion, they're trying to make all of us believe that Windows Phone, live tiles, and Steven Sinofsky never existed. Nevertheless, I feel a deep and abiding kinship with them for one reason (and one reason only), viz. THEY'VE FAILED AT EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER ATTEMPTED TO DO IN LIFE. So I do my best to make my Linux boxes look identical to Windows 11. Not because of Microsoft, but rather, in spite of them.

I got it a couple of years ago, because the last straw with Microsoft, after years of me cussing at them and throwing my laptop, literally (sorry laptop, I know it's not your fault) they came in through the internet and completely blocked me from using the version of Office I had paid for. I was applying for a job, and just needed to tweak my resume and cover letter, it was time sensitive, and I could not do either. Saying I was livid is an understatement. A friend suggested I use Libre Office, which was my first introduction to Open Source and I was in love. Next came installing F-Droid on my Android phone and using only Open Source apps (and blocking Google and as much of Verizon as I could and still use my phone). Linux was inevitable at that point, but I was intimidated because I had zero experience to use the terminal. My computer guy when installing a new hard drive in my computer (sorry again for throwing you old friend), convinced me that I would find Mint user friendly. So I took the plunge.

I use Linux because: I can give the middle finger to both Microsoft and Apple and gain a superior OS. It's because it's developed by users for users, not for profit. It's not bloated with all kinds of crap software for the sole purpose of someone else profiting off me or stealing my data without my consent and dragging down the functionality of the few things I need to do with my computer. It's largely user friendly, and I never have to worry that Linux is going to come into my hard drive through the internet and disable a part of my computer I need for real world applications that have consequences in my life (like applying for a really good job opportunity).

""When people ask why you use Linux over Windows,Mac,and Chrome OS what do you tell them?""​

If they have to ask, they are likely too lazy to find out for themselves.

Meh... I don't mind proprietary software - when it's good. I don't even mind paying for software, even proprietary software. I like the freedom to choose.

I use Linux 'cause I like it, not because I dislike something else. For me, Linux just works. I love opensource software, but I'm not a zealot.

As for my phone, it just does the job. It hasn't suffered any slow downs. It has a great battery still, plus the case functions as an additional battery. I have an earphone jack along with my replaceable battery. It still gets updates all those years later. The camera is more than adequate.

My next phone will be a Linux phone, probably. The Pine Phone is kind of interesting, but it's slower than my current phone. My dinosaur phone has better features.

I like the range of software (over 60,000 debian packages), access to source code and the community sharing philosophy of the open source and free software movement.

I love the fact that I am not giving money to "a certain somebody" at Microsoft who does NOT deserve any more money. I love that I can make my computer exactly what 'I' want it to be. I like the added security - although I add on extra security. I also like the fact that I don't know anybody else who uses it - adding to the "unique" me. I love all that I have learned.

""When people ask why you use Linux over Windows,Mac,and Chrome OS what do you tell them?""​

If they have to ask, they are likely too lazy to find out for themselves.
Not always. It's possible to research something you find intriguing, but also want to hear from users first hand. Anyone who has ever made a major change from something they use in their life on a day to day basis, has had a bad experience or "surprise" with an unintended consequences of some sort. And it's nice to ask people who are experienced to understand the pros and cons from their perspective--there may be benefits you don't realize from research. I am that kind of person. Plus, if you are face to face with an experienced user, you can ask them questions about your specific needs and how the technology would fit with your life. If it weren't for my computer guy having Linux experience and me being able to ask a few questions (my concern was how long it would take me to be up and running with it given my completely ignorant knowledge base--that was the scary part), I would have likely never taken the plunge.

I had done research, but honestly, you Linux users on the whole don't do a great job of educating the ignorant or curious. I am not criticizing you personally, Condobloke, and you have been very helpful and generous to me on the two questions I have posted, and I thank you for that. But when you start looking into Linux, it can be very off-putting and hard to decipher.

it can be very off-putting and hard to decipher.

To touch on that...

Yeah, many of us are pretty apathetic. Do your research. I am not your personal Google. RTFM.

This site is better than most, which is why I'm here. There are other sites where you'll get few, if any, valuable responses unless you managed to craft the exact right question, with the exact right incantations.

Even here, we expect you to put your hours in doing your own research. We don't answer homework questions, help you with your job application interview questions, or anything like that. We don't want to aid incompetent people. We don't want them entering the workforce where their ineptitude sullies the Linux name.

We're about the nicest Linux site online, at least out of the major sites.

We also want you to have the tools you need to learn. I am pretty sure it was you who asked what an inxi flag did. Someone told you what that specific flag did. My instructions were to show you the man page where you can figure that out all on your own. That saves us time, saves you time, and is more valuable than just answering your question - so long as you use the tools you're now aware of.

There's that adage about giving a man a fish vs. teaching them to fish.

Anyhow, we're different people. So, you'll get a different style of answer to your questions. It's up to you to tell the difference and take from those answers what you can.

Me? I give back all the time. The linux-tips.us site is mine and helps teach new users all sorts of things.

Here, read this page: https://linux-tips.us/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question/

It'll help explain what we expect. I think it'd broaden your horizon to read it. There are a few more "important pages" after that, if you want.

To me; Microsoft has gone the way of AOL.
If anyone were to ask me, I would tell them that when I discovered the fact that when I buy a computer I really don't own it, I pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of using their operating system which I can never own outright; I started putting two and two together and came up with the fact that Microsoft is not what I want in my association with computers any longer. Without an operating system the machine is worthless.
Enter Linux!
With Linux, I own whatever I put on my machine. No one has the right to take that away from me. I own it and can do whatever I please with it, bar nothing!!! If I want to experiment and destroy the machine I can do that. If I want to design a better mousetrap, I can do that. If I want to make all the mistakes doing what I should not be doing to the source code, I am free to do that! I alone am responsible for what I do with my cp.
I have read that the C programming language is dangerous for users, because with it anyone can actually destroy all their programs inadvertently. That's the kind of freedom that comes with Linux. It puts individual responsibility in the forefront, where it should be.
Microsoft acts like an over-protective parent who does not want you to be able to hurt yourself by making mistakes. That's called 'slavery'.
I have left MS and will never go back!!! As long as there is a Linux around, I will be using it as my main driver.

That's my rant for today! LOL.
Old Geezer TC

I still use windows because i like the versatility of having both, but i like linux better in these regards:

-you typically don't have to pay for linux distros

-open source means greater transparency in terms of how it works

-linux distros are smaller

-BASH is a sooo much better than the windows CLI

-open source also means more creativity, look at all the linux distros

The main reason i decided to build my own desktop for linux is mostly just the challenge and entertainment. I've found that windows has just as many problems as linux distros do. My least favorite of the distros is apple, i actually prefer the crappy security of windows to "you can't do that" philosophy of apple.

Linux frees up time and money for me versus Windows. And it's more fun! I never used a Mac, so can't say.

Define Windows?

oie_U1OwxwpaMhAm.png

This is the attitude of windows :)

Members online